LR 4 Retired

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horns

Reaction score
Retired. Im assuming that means you sold it for someone else to enjoy?

Folks scrapping d2 and d3s.. sad and probably unnecessary in some cases.

Yes, sold; not to the scrap yard.
It will have a second life with a more generous benefactor supporting it.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that looks great. I just ordered one. My 140lb Great Dane has been leaving hair galore and the whole car smells like a dog.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For my 180lb dog, I've been really happy with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M965WWO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lines the rear really well and keeps pet hair from getting all over, yet can fold up tight enough that I can use the 3rd row pretty easily.

I can take it out and hose it off or run it through the washing machine, and, after about a year and a half, it's not so expensive that I can't just pitch it if it wears out and get a new one.

Killer find. I've been using a couple of moving blankets to keep dirty bike wheels from messing up the beige rear. This will be a lot more convenient.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My one gripe with the cargo area is that it is not really flat.

Your post could be confusing to some. I would call it "flat" 100% but not relative to the axis b/n front and rear wheels. Relative to itself though, the lr3/4 2nd-3rd row is flat unlike many vehicles that have a curve or something from cargo to 2nd row seats like many wagons. Both our BMW and Audi wagons have a slight change in slope angle where the 2nd row seat won't press down enough to align with the cargo.

So, to me, our lr3/4 are flat in their relative alignment.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think I'd use that third row of seats until I was stuck in a storm

Let me list for you all what is in mine instead of the 3rd row seats. Keep in mind the space where the feet would go if you sat there, even with the 2nd row down, there's that area where the factory cargo area cover is meant to drop in below the floor level. Remove the rear seats and you have room for the following, all below the original flat floor line. I have the "thick" cargo mat over all of this and cut along the center for the front 1/3 and rear 1/3 which aids in access to the items:

Front foot wells:

Driver side-recovery gear bag with 1 HD winching chain, 2 pulleys, 4 shackles, gloves, winch line cover, 1st 3 way folding HD off-road wheel chock & traction track.

Passenger side- 2 tool rolls with everything needed to fully dismantle and repair any suspension part and most other potential failures in back country, 2 ****** straps, 2nd 3 way folding HD off-road wheel chock & traction track.

First 16" or so behind the above:
Air-bag jack (Bushranger-X jack I think) High-lift soft ground foot (the big red plastic one that doubles as rudimentary shoveling device)

Last area from above to edge of tailgate:

2 folding aluminum stools, 2 folding aluminum mine tables, 4 telescoping/folding awning or tarping poles, 2 concert venue folding low scoop style chairs, misc crap I can't remember.

All within the level such that the thick mat still lines up properly with the side ledges where the cargo tie down loops sit.

Bonus pro-ti location for a 48" bar High-lift ..... this is also lodged side to side between wheel humps right behind the backside of folder 2nd row seats into that 3rd row footwell area. This is a heavy item but it sits low and centered in vehicle and is kept safe in a roll-over by webbing cargo strap looped through a mount in the floor in that trough. You can get D rings and mount them using the factory points where the number 50? torx bolts mount various seat points.

One aspect of this high-lift location is that even with a fully filled cargo area you can slide it out from under everything.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me list for you all what is in mine instead of the 3rd row seats. Keep in mind the space where the feet would go if you sat there, even with the 2nd row down, there's that area where the factory cargo area cover is meant to drop in below the floor level. Remove the rear seats and you have room for the following, all below the original flat floor line. I have the "thick" cargo mat over all of this and cut along the center for the front 1/3 and rear 1/3 which aids in access to the items:

Front foot wells:

Driver side-recovery gear bag with 1 HD winching chain, 2 pulleys, 4 shackles, gloves, winch line cover, 1st 3 way folding HD off-road wheel chock & traction track.

Passenger side- 2 tool rolls with everything needed to fully dismantle and repair any suspension part and most other potential failures in back country, 2 ****** straps, 2nd 3 way folding HD off-road wheel chock & traction track.

Air-bag jack (Bushranger-X jack I think) High-lift soft ground foot (the big red plastic one that doubles as rudimentary shoveling device)

2 folding aluminum stools, 2 folding aluminum mine tables, 4 telescoping/folding awning or tarping poles, 2 concert venue folding low scoop style chairs, misc crap I can't remember.

All within the level such that the thick mat still lines up properly with the side ledges where the cargo tie down loops sit.

Bonus pro-ti location for a 48" bar High-lift ..... this is also lodged side to side between wheel humps right behind the backside of folder 2nd row seats into that 3rd row footwell area. This is a heavy item but it sits low and centered in vehicle and is kept safe in a roll-over by webbing cargo strap looped through a mount in the floor in that trough. You can get D rings and mount them using the factory points where the number 50? torx bolts mount various seat points.

One aspect of this high-lift location is that even with a fully filled cargo area you can slide it out from under everything.

Smart and lets you keep everything low and forward. Love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Front foot wells:

I decided on leaving my 3rd row in until my youngest is off to college. Once she's out of the house, I will be following your lead.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided on leaving my 3rd row in until my youngest is off to college. Once she's out of the house, I will be following your lead.

Yeah, I totally thought it would get more use but well, since buying it new in 2007, there have been maybe 5 times the 3rd row was occupied. I had a new 06 Land Cruiser before this... I try not to think how 'uneventful' that ownership could've been...

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I totally thought it would get more use but well, since buying it new in 2007, there have been maybe 5 times the 3rd row was occupied. I had a new 06 Land Cruiser before this... I try not to think how 'uneventful' that ownership could've been...

I wonder sometimes too. I am obviously a LR4 fan boy, but not necessarily a Land Rover loyalist. We were down to a Land Cruiser or the LR4 back in 2011 when we got ours. I forced the issue to go with the Rover specifically because the Land Cruiser wasn't available with a factory locker. Probably could have added that locker myself and been thousands ahead of where I am.

Have never lived with a Land Cruiser long enough to know if it would be for me. I do own a 2019 4Runner though that one of my daughters drives. She loves it, but I know that it would not be a long-term vehicle if I was the one driving it. It might run forever, but it lags the LR4 in almost every qualitative and quantitative measure. As you would expect, I guess, given the difference in purchase price.

Now you've got me thinking about ditching the 3rd row right now. I can't recall the last time someone actually sat back there, but the smirking look I know I would endure from the wife unit if she decided we needed them and I had to tell her they are up in the attic has kept them there. She already rolls her eyes at the fridge in the second row...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72