LR 4 Retired

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I literally cannot think of another vehicle that offers what the LR3/4 do.

Exactly one inch wider than a Wrangler.
Shorter wheelbase than a Wrangler Unlimited.
Tighter turning circle than a Wrangler.
More power than Wrangler/4Runner
Seats 7.
Seats fold perfectly flat.
Comfortable and refined on the highway.
Full time 4wd.

There is literally nothing else out there that checks all of those boxes. Given that, and the thousands of dollars I have poured into setting mine up how I want, there is nothing else I can buy that I would prefer to own..

Short of a chassis killing wreck, I don't plan on replacing it. If the timing chains grenade the engine, I will figure it out.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I literally cannot think of another vehicle that offers what the LR3/4 do.

Exactly one inch wider than a Wrangler.
Shorter wheelbase than a Wrangler Unlimited.
Tighter turning circle than a Wrangler.
More power than Wrangler/4Runner
Seats 7.
Seats fold perfectly flat.
Comfortable and refined on the highway.
Full time 4wd.

There is literally nothing else out there that checks all of those boxes. Given that, and the thousands of dollars I have poured into setting mine up how I want, there is nothing else I can buy that I would prefer to own..

Short of a chassis killing wreck, I don't plan on replacing it. If the timing chains grenade the engine, I will figure it out.

Nailed it. I feel very similarly and it's how I arrived at the LR4 after a Subaru Forrester turbo (crazy fun on the freeway but no low-range), a 4Runner (great off-road but so-so on the freeway), and then the LR4 (great balance of on-road to off-road to on-road ability). I'm hoping to keep mine running for quite a long time with frequent pre-emptive and preventive maintenance.

I didn't think I'd use that third row of seats until I was stuck in a storm (and camping in the truck) and I folded the middle row forward and set up the rear seats as my "reading room" for the night to wait out the storm. Pretty cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think I'd use that third row of seats until I was stuck in a storm (and camping in the truck) and I folded the middle row forward and set up the rear seats as my "reading room" for the night to wait out the storm. Pretty cool.

Nice. My one and only gripe with the 3rd row has to do with the size/weight and brute thickness of the factory cargo mat. It's tough to deploy the 3rd row on-the-fly without first planning for it by removing that mat. I don't see any way around it with the stock mat which I use 99.9% of the time. I guess one solution would be to slit the mat into two halves and then make sure that I never put anything wet on the seam. That way I could possibly stack the halves behind the 3rd row. Seems like a poor compromise though for a use case that happens 0.01% of the time. If I had an emergency carcamping scenario I would just toss the mat under the vehicle or maybe on top for the night (if I wanted to do the reading-room idea you described). OK I'm way overthinking this now lol.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. My one and only gripe with the 3rd row has to do with the size/weight and brute thickness of the factory cargo mat. It's tough to deploy the 3rd row on-the-fly without first planning for it by removing that mat. I don't see any way around it with the stock mat which I use 99.9% of the time. I guess one solution would be to slit the mat into two halves and then make sure that I never put anything wet on the seam. That way I could possibly stack the halves behind the 3rd row. Seems like a poor compromise though for a use case that happens 0.01% of the time. If I had an emergency carcamping scenario I would just toss the mat under the vehicle or maybe on top for the night (if I wanted to do the reading-room idea you described). OK I'm way overthinking this now lol.

I dumped that mat the second I got the truck. It was too big and inflexible and I like that I can slide gear in and out on the carpets. Much easier.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dumped that mat the second I got the truck. It was too big and inflexible and I like that I can slide gear in and out on the carpets. Much easier.

It is thick and clumsy, but I've been glad to have had it given the cargo I've put in the car at times and other incidents relating to my dog. I do plan and remove it when I think I'll need the 3rd row (usually takes care of 99% of situations), but I have managed to fold it into a "U" shape behind the 3rd row seats in a bind.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For my 180lb dog, I've been really happy with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M965WWO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lines the rear really well and keeps pet hair from getting all over, yet can fold up tight enough that I can use the 3rd row pretty easily.

I can take it out and hose it off or run it through the washing machine, and, after about a year and a half, it's not so expensive that I can't just pitch it if it wears out and get a new one.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For my 180lb dog, I've been really happy with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M965WWO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lines the rear really well and keeps pet hair from getting all over, yet can fold up tight enough that I can use the 3rd row pretty easily.

I can take it out and hose it off or run it through the washing machine, and, after about a year and a half, it's not so expensive that I can't just pitch it if it wears out and get a new one.

That looks pretty good and fits better than the OEM version, which seems to be what you want to use if you turned your LR4 into a **** room.

Last edited:

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My one gripe with the cargo area is that it is not really flat.

I never noticed until I started building a nesting sleeping platform that goes in the back. There is a bit less than an inch of downward slope from the front to the rear when all of the seats are folded flat. It surprised me, and forced me to use some shims to end up with a perfectly level platform for the rear piece.

I will post a thread on the platform when it is complete. I think it has come out pretty slick so far, but I am still waiting on my carpet to arrive to upholster it.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My one gripe with the cargo area is that it is not really flat.

I never noticed until I started building a nesting sleeping platform that goes in the back. There is a bit less than an inch of downward slope from the front to the rear when all of the seats are folded flat. It surprised me, and forced me to use some shims to end up with a perfectly level platform for the rear piece.

I will post a thread on the platform when it is complete. I think it has come out pretty slick so far, but I am still waiting on my carpet to arrive to upholster it.

I'm picturing your truck sitting on a very slight downward slope that coincidentally matches the slope you so carefully measured in the truck.... :).

You know, you could have just created a Gap Tool setting to raise the rear for camp night. I did that in a few places where I could not get the truck on level ground.

Will look forward to seeing the photos though. Please tag me when you post them!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks pretty good and fits better than the OEM version, which seems to be what you wan to use if you turned your LR4 into a **** room.

I've got the black interior, and it really just kind of blends in. Works great, and removing it and hosing it off every month or two keeps my car from smelling like a wet dog when it gets humid.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72