LR 5.0 vs Jag 5.0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between the Land Rover 5.0 engine and the Jag 5.0 engine? More specifically, can I use one as a long block for the other?

Long story even longer, I need to rebuild the engine in my LR4, and rather than have the car down for several months while waiting on machine work, I figured I'd just buy a long block, or a used engine as a donor. Since I'm replacing the pistons, rods, injectors.....and pretty much everything else, a cheap used engine would be fine for my rebuild.

HOWEVER, the Jag engines appear to be about $1-$2K cheaper......but as I understand it, they're the same stinking engine.....or at least the block is?....any help, advice, guidance??????

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR block is water "resistant" apparently...not the block itself but the accessories like water pump, ac compressor, alternator etc, but shouldn't matter if you don't wade. Also the oil sump is different on the LR block in that it can supply oil to the engine when at crazy angles during off-roading. Now i'm not 100% sure if i explained that properly, but i know they're a tad different.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That all makes sense. Although, the number of times I've had to replace the water pump and crossover tubes......makes me wonder about the whole water resistant piece! Ha!

Thanks for the info! Not sure if I'll try this or not.....I just happened to find a Jag engine for $4250 vs the cheapest LR engine at $6500. :dontknow: I can easily swap the peripherals from one to the other....as long as the blocks are identical.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm in theory it sounds like a good idea and one I'd explore myself if/when I'm in in your position. How many miles on the jag engine and the lr one for $6500?

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're both 120K plus, so high mileage. That said, I've already purchased new pistons, rods, timing chains, bearings, gaskets etc...

So really, any engine I get, I'm going to rebuild, just to be safe.

That said, I think I may have just found a bare block on ebay which may give me what I need.....for A LOT less $$

As long as I can confirm the NA an SC blocks are identical....which according to LR's "what this fits" section, they are.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, turns out the NA and SC blocks are indeed different.....but, I've been able to determine the Jag and LR blocks are the same! I may have to change a few ancilliary parts, but hey, that's what donor engines are for!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently heard somewhere that there's a difference in the oil pickups; the LR engine being better suited to still pumping oil through the engine when off-camber.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fir reference this is the bottom of the Lr sump.

Attachments

• FB705DF7-F385-4635-83FC-665359A09FD8.jpeg
    FB705DF7-F385-4635-83FC-665359A09FD8.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 46

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! I did indeed order the Jag engine, and will modify it as I go. Since I'm swapping into my existing LR4, I'll just reuse the existing accessories, probably order a new oil pan and the rest of the internal parts, I actually have from the original SC donor engine. I'll start a new thread for the rebuild, then for the installation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA