LR national rally in Colorado or Moab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my wife is on board with celebrating our anniversary(July 30) at a location/event of my choosing this year since she picked the last few years locations. I would like to go to Moab to camp/off road for a week but i'm wondering if going it alone is smart without another off road "buddy."

The dilemma I have is that I can't decide between going to Moab alone and any potential risks that it involves vs going to Colorado for national land Rover rally where there would be support...etc incase I get myself into a jam on the trails. I anticipate keeping my truck on the beginner and intermediate trails and looking more for trails that will take me through and to scenic views - no bouldering.

Any opinions on whether I would be ok going it alone in Moab or should I just do the safer LR rally? I will have some basic equipment with me but don't have a winch so hopefully my LR roadside service is up to the task ;-)

I would greatly appreciate feedback from anyone who has made the trek to Moab. Thanks in advance!!

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go to Moab and if not feeling completely up for it, hire someone to show you finer points like Dan **** (if he's still kicking it) to guide you. You'll get better coverage of the best trails and stuff most tourists miss. He's the guy with the white beard from Day 4 in the pics from this link (these are my pics), hope he's still around. His commentary is not for the those with thin skin or if you are easily insulted:
http://www.pbase.com/dmarchand/2008_national_rally_and_colorado

Colorado is about as nice as it gets and I would also advocate joining the Solihull rally as the folks are terrific, run a great event and you always meet great people. I attended the CO one in '05 in the San Juans and it was fantastic for a guy from the East...

http://www.pbase.com/dmarchand/colorado_offroad_expedition_and_rally

I would not do Moab alone unless you plan to get a guide or convince someone else to join you.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would opt for Colorado, as that would be an awesome experience. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Moab and we travel to UT all the time, but I would not go it alone.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nas, awesome pictures! Thanks guys for the feedback.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM