LR3 Battery life (w/ engine off)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

toddjb123

I'm not sure if any of you ever run your lights or radio with the engine off, but you don't get much time on the LR3 before you need a jumpstart... and the car doesn't give you any obvious warning before you need a jump.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, there is no battery gauge on my dash (I really hope I'm missing something obvious). It would be easy to stick your head inside every once in a while and see if you need to start the engine, but as it is, I've already had to jump start this puppy twice!

On the radio side it seems like too much other sh*t is running in the background. You have to make sure you turn off the NAV screen and then I still wonder if the NAV DVD player is still powered up under my seat sucking battery juice, and also wonder about any other electronics. Now I begin to see why they have that annoying Low Power mode on the stereo...the truck is an electricity hog and with no battery gauge or tone warning you don't know until its too late.

Happened last week while we were playing bocci on the lawn (we like bocci). Had a game run past sunset so I turned on the headlights to finish out the game. A short time later one of my headlights went out so I decided I should start the engine, but it was already too late. Battery dead! (was using the Xenon headlights which I'm sure draw a good bit of current).

So, I guess this is partly just a gripe, but also wondering if anyone found ways to make sure everything unnessecary is powered down AND point me to a way to monitor battery voltage.

Thanks for "listening!"

R

roverdawg

Could you have a short somewhere? I've run off the battery for a few hours with the nav screen and cd running w/o problems, but after reading your post I'm wondering if that's wise. Especially if I'm out in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure the xenons do sap the battery fairly quickly. Have you needed a jumpstart w/o having the lights on i.e playing the radio?

T

toddjb123

yup, did it one time only playing the radio (was for 2-4 hours i'd guess) and another time with only the lights (no radio, no NAV screen).

F

Freeflytim

I posted on one of the boards that you can put an Optima battery in the other compartment and use an isolator so you always got at least one good battwy. Easy to do. Once you drain a battery, its life is cut big time and will give you trouble from now on. Once it does, play dumb at the dealer hopeing for a warranty replacement.... "I don't know how it happened, it must have been bad from the factory" type real dumb! But do it before adding a second battwy, it would be hard to convince them if they see the dual battery setup!

T

toddjb123

put the optima in what other compartment? we have free space somewhere for a 2nd battery? (or just post a link to your post if you know it)

either way, the battery was not drained completely dead so i seriously doubt it was harmed in any way. it just didn't have enough juice to crank over an engine (that's a lot of amps). a low drain where it still has power for minor stuff shouldn't hurt a battery. heck, that is part of the life cycle for many lead-acid battery applications (marine, electric cars, etc.) but if you disagree, no reason to get into a physics debate here... :)

(but i'll still heed the advice and play dumb if I DO ever have problems and need warranty support....)

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Freeflytim

You're thinking of deep-cycle batteries.. car batteries are not designed to be completely drained.

Take a look in the 'box' under the bonnet on the left side up near the windscreen.
Im talking like a Damn Brit again.
Anyhoo, this thing screams for a 2nd battery. A lot of diesels have dual battery setups and thats what this looks like its for. Not a full size like the stock one, but Im sure something will fit.

Be careful on getting the right isolator tho, from what Ive read, make sure you get the right isolator. Repeat. Done right it won't wear out both batteries. Adding a 2nd battery is pretty basic, just find somebody who knows this stuff. I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :biggrin:

R

ronprx

I had the same problem...battery going dead aftet an hour or so with the radio and playing with the nav. Seems like it should last longer?

F

Freeflytim

Ron- more details. automatic headlights on? front and/or rear blower on? Kids playing with the windows? Todd had his lights on which kinda explained his. Didja need a jump or did it crank like Todds?

Ive killed many batteries just by goofing around. My BMW has needed a jump after the interior light was left on overnight 'cause I didn't slam the door hard enough. It happens.

J

Joe

I ran out of gas and turned the flashers on. Unfortunately, my battery went dead after 2-2.5 hours of having the lights off, flashers on, and CD player on low volume. I was not comfortable being a black truck in the middle of the street at 5am. I would have thought that the battery should later longer too. I am considering the second battery, or a portable boost for any camping/wheeling trips.

M

mvg

Do you have a DVD player? If so, it could be wired incorrectly and continues to draw power even when the engine is off. The DVD player should not be operable 15 minutes after the starter key has been turned to position '0'.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635