LR3 has a rough start to engine - why? (video included)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madime

Reaction score
My daughter has a 2005 LR3 HSE that died while driving on the highway. I tried troubleshooting several things: 1) has enough oil, 2) has enough gas, 3) air filter is clean, 4) cleaned gunk out of throttle body, 5) replaced all spark plugs & coil packs 7 months ago. The engine light had a few codes for the transmission (which it had for a while), but the new code it sent was "P0345 Code: Camshaft Position Sensor “A” Circuit (Bank 2)". After several attempts to start, it finally showed misfire on #2, #4, and #8 (which are all on bank 2). I moved the plug from #6 to #2 and the coil pack from #6 to #4 (hoping that since #6 didn't trigger a misfire, then perhaps it could tell me if the misfire was due to the plug or coilpack on #2 and #4). After doing this, the engine started but was VERY difficult to start and was VERY rough when it finally started. I cleared the engine light codes and the misfires didn't show up again even though it was obviously rough. I replaced the plugs in #2, #4, and #8, but no improvement.

Here's a video of what it sounds like for the rough start; it finally starts after ~50 seconds, but sounds very rough. (
)

Any ideas what is causing all of this??? Anything else I can troubleshoot???

georgekale

Reaction score
Ran into the same problem. At first rough idle on cold start. Random miss fire on startup.
Engine miss 2-4-6-. Guess what fixed this problem. # 4 injector carbon up.
Replaced # 4 injector and clean the intake manifold runners with upper cylinder cleaner injected through intake vacuum fitting.
Running good now.

Attachments

• 4 fuel injector 101400mi..jpg
    4 fuel injector 101400mi..jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 64

madime

Reaction score
Thanks @georgekale - I'm a novice with engines and to Land Rovers, but I'll give that a try to check that out. A friend thought it may also be due to timing being off, so I may have to figure out how to check for that too.

madime

Reaction score
As a follow-up, the original cam position sensor was apparently wrong even though several auto parts websites say it's right. So I got the right Cam Position Sensor this time and replaced it (I could never find where the other one went but assume it wasn't for this Land Rover after all). So after making sure the battery was fully charged and adding extra couple gallons of premium gas for good measure, it's having the same problems. It took a lot to get it started and when it did, it sounds just the same as in the video.

Any other suggestions?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okamgba1463