LR4 2016 HSE - Low coolant & water leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redouane Altubor

Reaction score
Greetings folks,

I bought my LR4 HSE 2016 from the LandRover dealer brand new June 2016. Services well maintained & on time (all good)!

Last week while driving far from my home visiting a friend I got low coolant warning msg ! I parked and found the water tank empty with burning coolant smell!

However since I was far from home I looked with my friend for a shop near by my location. Luckily a shop was near by.

long story short by looking into the issue at the shop it determined visually that there is a leak indeed so we decided to repair since I can not make it to the dealer where I stay :)

the shop said that we need to replace a water plastic pipe which seems leaking indeed, part where purchased (original) and they replaced successfully.

The shop said my water pump also seems leaking, so an original water pump as well was purchased and replaced.

All went good that day... however when I reached back home & 6 days later I got the warring again! Low coolant! I am not sure what can it be? Looking under the car I see marks of coolant and same smell again... coolant tank is empty now!

All parts along with coolant used was 100% original (I verified myself) ... any idea if this is a common issue with LR4 HSE 2016? Also what can it be?

4980E4DA-61E9-4E75-B977-CAC331F5E73B.png

60E2F34B-A9BE-4275-9B02-CA68746941D2.png

FDF06236-2DB6-4A66-BA4A-70780DBBECC7.png

744CD655-1D10-4F8E-9862-A973A78EFCD9.png

9EDC09DF-7B5A-44EF-A3A4-58B9B41B3A76.png

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an aftermarket pump last 2 weeks before leaking so check that. Hopefully your first overheat did not warp the cylinder heads. If you did well, one and done.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings folks,

I bought my LR4 HSE 2016 from the LandRover dealer brand new June 2016. Services well maintained & on time (all good)!

Last week while driving far from my home visiting a friend I got low coolant warning msg ! I parked and found the water tank empty with burning coolant smell!

However since I was far from home I looked with my friend for a shop near by my location. Luckily a shop was near by.

long story short by looking into the issue at the shop it determined visually that there is a leak indeed so we decided to repair since I can not make it to the dealer where I stay :)

the shop said that we need to replace a water plastic pipe which seems leaking indeed, part where purchased (original) and they replaced successfully.

The shop said my water pump also seems leaking, so an original water pump as well was purchased and replaced.

All went good that day... however when I reached back home & 6 days later I got the warring again! Low coolant! I am not sure what can it be? Looking under the car I see marks of coolant and same smell again... coolant tank is empty now!

All parts along with coolant used was 100% original (I verified myself) ... any idea if this is a common issue with LR4 HSE 2016? Also what can it be?

View attachment 9595

View attachment 9596

View attachment 9597

View attachment 9598

View attachment 9599

That definitely looks like it’s leaking from the front. I’d suspect water pump return connection or something your shop reconnected. There’s a little pressure fitting on the front of the water pump that sometimes won’t seat correctly. I’d start there.

12F06351-CA83-4CCF-A106-7A06FB01ED74.jpeg

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my 3rd leaking water pump replaced by the dealer. Supposedly it has been redesigned somehow so they claim this one should not leak. I'd go to a dealer or online LR parts store like LR Merriam parts (https://landrovermerriamparts.com) to see if there is in fact a redesigned OEM water pump available.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my 3rd leaking water pump replaced by the dealer. Supposedly it has been redesigned somehow so they claim this one should not leak. I'd go to a dealer or online LR parts store like LR Merriam parts (https://landrovermerriamparts.com) to see if there is in fact a redesigned OEM water pump available.

Land Rover Merriam is my local dealer and they replaced my water pump this past December. If there's an updated part, I hope they used it.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover Merriam is my local dealer and they replaced my water pump this past December. If there's an updated part, I hope they used it.

On the 4 there’s definitely a redesigned return (which I could not get to seat into the water pump at first). Didn’t leak unless I was running it. Steady dripping once the engine was on. Not sure they’ve redesigned the pump, but would like to know if they did. I installed a redesigned hose when I put a new pump in last fall.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72