LR4 5.0 Chain Guides actual problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen different statements on this. My original understanding is that the timing chain issue was the hardened steel tensioner piston wearing a hold through the aluminum guide (leading to slack). LR at some point redesigned the guides by putting a hardened steel insert in the guide where it meets the piston.

I‘ve read on these forums that they redesigned the guides in the mid-2012 model year, but the TSB on this issue (the one I’ve seen anyway) wasn’t issued until 2015 and that lawsuit linked above applies to 2014 model cars. So maybe it wasn’t fixed until sometime in 2014? Anyone know for sure?

I agree it is odd that the lawsuit excludes some of those earlier models, but maybe a statute of limitations issue.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
127k miles on my 2013 and he valves are making noise, so ill be doing the chain/tensioners.

Last edited:

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1287k miles on my 2013 and he valves are making noise, so ill be doing the chain/tensioners.

Wow that's a record even Peterbilt inline six engines can not match in mileage before rebuild time. Personal hands on a friend's 79 Peterbilt always well treated and maintained (we're both licensed A&P aviation engine shop mechanics) had clocked 823K miles before an "in frame" rebuild was required. New pistons and liners, rods and mains plus seals along with the head rebuilt. Assembled, "running the rack" it has surpassed the 1432K mile mark back in 2019. I should know working on that "in frame" engine rebuild.

Funny as hell LR owners complaining that they "have a "Ford engine in their LR".

Ford's UK engine manufacturing division plant builds engines to customers engineering specs including not altering a thing in measurements, design,alloys and clearances.
To the letter LR's engineers approved blueprints, alloys, plastics and clearances per contract.

Engines having design flaws, wrong alloys or plastic parts speced and installed at the UK Ford Engine Manufacturing plant can not alter customers specs and materials.

You get what LR speced out including any and all desigmn flaws, got an issue go talk to LR's engineers and question them why they have engine issues.

Better yet talk to LR's "Bean Counters" they have the last word keeping production costs down which usually includes quality down and never up when cutting corners and increasing profits.

This LR engine is not your 5.0 litre Ford push rod 302 engine Ford used for decades along with the newest Coyote 5.0 liter designed engine thats been kicking butts as well very robust engines that go the distance of several hundred thousand hard miles also able to handle super or turbo charged abuse producing over 800 RELIABLE HORSEPOWER. This under the most abusive drag racing, top speed runs like the Texas Mile, road racing and general to work daily hot rodders delight street use engines.

Example, known flaws with the 3.9 engine in the 95 Disco 1 5 spd needing attention requiring "Top Hat" cylinder liners installed along with replacing LR's low quality materal (cheaper) parts used. Cam and lifters that are shot by 60K as well their cheap rubbish timing gear set with link belt chain with a higher quality aftermarket cam, lifters, timing gears and double roller chain.
Reworked oiling system along with adding a 3 qt. Pre-Oiler no more morning 11-13 seconds dry starts rattling rods and not on the factory new LR 4.6 block (PO extended warranty paid for) new 4.6 engine. Now at 4.9 after installing a stroker crank. I made a reliable LR engine.

Not picking on starting a ******* war on LR owning one 23 years and counting, they are not alone with several other manufacture brands all have their own flaws. I paid attention and was able to correct ending up with a reliable trouble free LR engine.
Hell more reliable than the neighbors Vette always in the shop who teased me for owning a LR, screw "em.

Not to leave out Mercedes and BMW also living off their past reputation of producing very reliable vehicles and engines that did run trouble free for decades. BMW including Mercedes are in competition to see who is at the bottom of the list these days the worst in the reliablility department a three way race with Land Rover.

Sad how all manufactures went the cheap, piled on tons of electronics that will fail costing owners a lot being "dealership onlyb repairts". Everyone went the route where profits come first.

If I can't wrench on it and clear faults at home I do not own it.

Even Dodge reinventing their "Hemi" which isn't a real "Hemi" combustion chamber as the original 50's era 392 they are having roller rockers failure issues. External oil lines patch job, factory praying time and mileage warranty runs out first reducing the warranty expenses bleeding by cutting into their profits......~~=o&o>......

georgekale

Reaction score
Here's what new and old look like.

Attachments

• IMG_20170930_184623357 (2).jpg
    IMG_20170930_184623357 (2).jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20170930_184623357.jpg
    IMG_20170930_184623357.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20170930_184630376.jpg
    IMG_20170930_184630376.jpg