LR4 5.0 V8 - recent timing chain service with 4 new camshaft adjusters - still seems somewhat noisy??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it’s hard to judge actual volume from a video and my seem louder than it is? My 2011 sounds similar to your recording at times, but varies somewhat and isn’t what I would call loud. I think I just accept it’s a bit noisier engine than the LX470 I had.. ok, way noisier but with 100 more horses and slightly better fuel economy.

serge1060

Reaction score
When I bought mine used, it was that kind of noisy at 96,000 miles; however, as I used the recommended Castrol 5w20, it somehow was quieter after 2 oil changes at 1000 miles interval so far. I plan to do oil changes every 5000 miles.

t3s1a

Reaction score
Injectors make a hi-pitch ticking noise here. Other sounds seem to be coming from timing or belt driven accessory

Matt Weiss

Reaction score
My 2010 is quieter than that with OG chains and guides. I'm surprised you heard a sound from a cam adjuster over the fuel injectors.. to that point, my fuel injectors sounded same before and after brand new ones at 110,000 miles. They don't sound as deep as yours . Higher clicking noise like someone else suggested. I think you should take it back to the shop as other LR4s I've heard (like on other videos) don't sound like that.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
The first time I did my timing chain, I had the same noise. If you look at the live data from a code reader (Gap IID Tool) for intake camshaft degree (something like that). Normally it should be around 100 (+/-30) degrees, if it's in the 200 (+/-30) degrees then it's off by just that much and you don't have enough tension even though the markers are in the correct placement.

After a few reps of doing the timing chain myself, I got it down packed. The markers are aligned perfectly AND there was zero play between the sprockets. So, I went from the sound you're producing to "quiet".

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed OP is from Calgary. What shop did the work? You can pm the answer if you want.

DesertRover4

Reaction score
I’m keen to find out the final diagnosis, I have the exact same issue and went down the same exact path but still have ticking noise, mostly noticed on the drivers side. I’m suspecting lifter / cam follower noise since I know this is a common issue on ford V8s from this era

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
74yzh3.jpg

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time I did my timing chain, I had the same noise. If you look at the live data from a code reader (Gap IID Tool) for intake camshaft degree (something like that). Normally it should be around 100 (+/-30) degrees, if it's in the 200 (+/-30) degrees then it's off by just that much and you don't have enough tension even though the markers are in the correct placement.

After a few reps of doing the timing chain myself, I got it down packed. The markers are aligned perfectly AND there was zero play between the sprockets. So, I went from the sound you're producing to "quiet".

@djkaosone

Thanks for that bit of information. I am chasing a ticking in mine right now, and just had my chains done about 8K miles ago. My intake cam degree is reporting at 77 for bank 1 and 76.4 for bank 2, so I'm going to cross the chains off my list of culprits.

On the tensioning, are you referring to not having held enough tension on the camshaft adjustment sprockets when setting the timing?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okamgba1463