LR4 Injector Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aderry

Reaction score
I am replacing the fuel injectors on my 2013 LR4. Can someone please clarify if you have to use the sizing tool on the teflon seal if the injectors are new? Or am I good to put them in without.

Thanks

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does replacing your fuel injectors get you? I ask because I'm thinking about doing some things in not too distant future to improve the performance of the vehicle. Should new fuel injectors be on the list, and what can I expect from replacing them?

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good clean injectors give you a better injection event which leads to better burn, and hence more power and efficiency. By injection event, I mean that a good clean injector is going to squirt more gas, in a finer mist than a gunked up dirty injector. The finer the mist, the more fuel air mixing you get, and the more fuel actually burns. Obviously, the more fuel you burn, the less goes out the tailpipe, and the more power you make. That's actually why they call for premium fuel in these engines, the higher the octane, the slower the burn rate. This allows the engine to get a "more complete" burn during the ignition event.

All that is to say, these injectors are able to support a significant amount of power...if they're clean. I just replaced the injectors on my engine during my timing chain swap, and I swear, between the chains, plugs and injectors I feel like she's doubled her power output! (not really, but she's SO much more responsive than she was before!...totally gonna get a ticket if I'm not careful!)

theegovernor

Reaction score
I caution anyone going to replace injectors. It can become a real nightmare on these engines. They get stuck bad

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah unless they are bad or they need to come out I wouldn't mess with them unless I had to. Run some BG44K in the tank.

Aderry

Reaction score
I caution anyone going to replace injectors. It can become a real nightmare on these engines. They get stuck bad
I can attest to that. I had 7 come out pretty easy and one(number 4) that I have hit with the slide hammer at least 1000 times tried rolling the engine over to build compression, hooked an engine hoist on to and sucked in to and tried using the slide hammer. At this point I'm not sure what to do and am probably on the verge of breaking...Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I’ve only rebuilt about 6 of these engines, but I’ve never been unable to get the injectors free. That said, I have heard they can be a pain. Some of the “tips” I’ve heard include; penetrating oil and let it soak overnight, then hit it a few more times. I’ve seen guys use wire and a board and a scissor Jack to pull them out. (I saw it in a YouTube video once, but the physics make sense…I’ll see if I can find it and post the link).

Other than that, I’d say just keep at it. Try spinning it back and forth. Also try wiggling to break it free. There’s actually a little bit of “wiggle” room….but if they’ve been in there a while they may have some bi-metallic corrosion going on.

Update: found this one, this guy uses a ratchet strap to assist:

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is also a Samcrac video on a RRS, I believe, where he eventually used a jack and got them out much easier. Edit: I think he connected the slide removal tool to an engine hoist chain. Cave man type stuff, but it worked.

Last edited:

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a rope attached to my injector removal tool.
A quick tug on the rope and the injector comes right out. Usually no more than 2 pulls.
It's all about the velocity of the slide weight.

Attachments

• 20230719_151715.jpg
    20230719_151715.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72