LR4 Mileage Poll

How Many Miles on Your Rig?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the wallet-punch, though, the compressor is probably number 1 on the "jobs that sound difficult, but are actually pretty easy" list.

while i have had my fair share of issues with DIY repairs (trans valvebody being the worst), this truck isn't particularly hard to work on. diagnosing is another issue, but actually doing the work is relatively simple.

My Audi...no matter what i need to do, parts are costly and its labor intensive. almost half of any engine work require the entire front end (bumper, bumper support, AC condensor, radiator, headlights) to be removed.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Audi...no matter what i need to do, parts are costly and its labor intensive. almost half of any engine work require the entire front end (bumper, bumper support, AC condensor, radiator, headlights) to be removed.

LOL...so true! I had a 2002 and 2005 allroad and had to remove the entire front end a few times. I remember my wife asking "Do you think you can put it all back together?"

Funny how the LR4 reminds me of the original allroad. We all vowed to keep them running forever and never give them up until they disintegrate. Just saw one the other day and it still looks great despite being 16+ years old. Another timeless design, just like the LR4.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't really find a thread on it, so I thought I'd ask here.

Those of you who've had an alternator fail, what mileage were you at?

The "charging fault" threads make me wonder. I'm at 108k now and everything seems okay, but I'm taking a Colorado trip here in a few weeks and I just start thinking about it...

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't really find a thread on it, so I thought I'd ask here.

Those of you who've had an alternator fail, what mileage were you at?

The "charging fault" threads make me wonder. I'm at 108k now and everything seems okay, but I'm taking a Colorado trip here in a few weeks and I just start thinking about it...
69k. And that’s with 2k caked in mud that I didn’t realize was there. It cooked in the la heat. Failed with a charging system fault, that cascaded into the battery going out and I found the start stop battery was on the fritz as well.

Expensive week.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. That's young.

After a little bit of research, I've come up with this. The OEM alternator is Denso, which I already knew is probably as good as they come. Same brand is used in Hondas and Toyotas. My dad has a 98 Land Cruiser with around 200k on the clock that still has the original alternator.

So, from that and all this, I surmise that if nothing external has happened or gotten all over it (mud, oil, etc.), it's probably good for a while. There are no signs of mine going out, so I won't worry about it any time soon. It would probably be riskier to replace mine right before a trip (and run the risk of a defect in a new one) than it would be to just use the one I have.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV