LR4 Newbie - We have problems!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeViking

Reaction score
well done doing the crossovers as well. Just did a full 2013 5.0 V8 motor swap into my 2011 LR4, and while I was bleeding money anyway, I did a new water pump and new crossovers even though they were probably “fine” still.

Hope that’s all it was for you... I wish I would have had access to this forum and been able to ask such questions BEFORE the all-too-often “timing chain and tensioner” issue caused my pistons and the head gasket to go full metal on each other and cost be a damn motor!

here’s to hoping nothing else occurs for a LOOONNNGGG TIME!

Thank you guys for the advice! The mechanic confirmed that it was the water pump and the intake manifold gaskets. The crossover pipes seemed to be ok, but we asked to have those replaced preventatively while they were in there.

I really appreciate your help!

Reaction score
well done doing the crossovers as well. Just did a full 2013 5.0 V8 motor swap into my 2011 LR4, and while I was bleeding money anyway, I did a new water pump and new crossovers even though they were probably “fine” still.

Hope that’s all it was for you... I wish I would have had access to this forum and been able to ask such questions BEFORE the all-too-often “timing chain and tensioner” issue caused my pistons and the head gasket to go full metal on each other and cost be a damn motor!

here’s to hoping nothing else occurs for a LOOONNNGGG TIME!
Just chiming in - I had the same experience with my 5.0 RRS. 71k miles it sounded like a diesel and had to have the timing chain tensioners replaced. I had to do the water pumps at 60k. Crossover pipe replaced when the tensioner job was done.

My leak was a puddle of crystallized goo right under the water pump (and that sweet coolant smell when warm).

It took me longer than I’ll admit on this forum to replace the water pump...I could do 3 N55 BMW pumps in the same amount of time, and those are notoriously difficult.

BeViking

Reaction score
@Steven Phillips so so so terrible to hear of your misfortune with our stupid 5.0 motor. Also, is a weird way, makes me feel better that I’m not the only one who “pushes things WAAAAY longer than I should” even when I’m fully aware something by needs be done.

when my started sounded diesel-ish... I could have solved for $3500 - but didn’t... and of course after my motor blew up - I was $1500 to fully diagnose (see if anything was salvageable) and $11,500 in buying/rebuilding the 2013 5.0 motor that is in her now.

thankfully the ninja mechanics here in SL, were able to swap and use all 8 fuel injectors I had recently done on the original motor etc.

What I keep telling myself to make me feel better (which barely helps BTW), is the fact that the truck may have 134,417 miles on her... but I have an effectively fully rebuilt 2013 motor (without the tension chain issue) that only has 84,417 miles on it. SO... it’s a damn good thing I love ‘LUCY the LR” so much, since I’ll be driving her until THIS motor keels over.

onward and upward... (despite paying for these vehicles at least twice in their lifespan)

cheers!

-PS

image.jpg

Reaction score
@Steven Phillips so so so terrible to hear of your misfortune with our stupid 5.0 motor. Also, is a weird way, makes me feel better that I’m not the only one who “pushes things WAAAAY longer than I should” even when I’m fully aware something by needs be done.

when my started sounded diesel-ish... I could have solved for $3500 - but didn’t... and of course after my motor blew up - I was $1500 to fully diagnose (see if anything was salvageable) and $11,500 in buying/rebuilding the 2013 5.0 motor that is in her now.

thankfully the ninja mechanics here in SL, were able to swap and use all 8 fuel injectors I had recently done on the original motor etc.

What I keep telling myself to make me feel better (which barely helps BTW), is the fact that the truck may have 134,417 miles on her... but I have an effectively fully rebuilt 2013 motor (without the tension chain issue) that only has 84,417 miles on it. SO... it’s a damn good thing I love ‘LUCY the LR” so much, since I’ll be driving her until THIS motor keels over.

onward and upward... (despite paying for these vehicles at least twice in their lifespan)

cheers!

-PS

View attachment 11420
Oh man...really glad I got to mine before it reached that point. But you’re right - you essentially have a new motor with the correct timing components.

IMHO every single one of these motors will need those tensioners replaced or the motor replaced. 71k and mine were really, really bad.

BeViking

Reaction score
Steven — great points. Now that you mention it - I guess it was a miracle that it made it to 132K miles without being done...

I really hope this one holds up like it should. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick