LR4 No-Start Issue - Detailed post with Video & Faults - Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwlitt1

Reaction score
I had a very similar situation on my LR3. Intermittent starting issues progressively got worse.
Everything i saw lead me to believe it was an electrical issue. I was so accustomed to "traditional" starter failures that i didn't think it could possibly be a starter problem.
It just didn't have the typical symptoms of a starter failure.
Most vehicles will at least try to start, or give you solenoid click, or noise from a partial throw of the gear, or spin but no engagement. Not the old LR apparently. After troubleshooting everything i could think of i went ahead and replaced the starter.
First time i have had to replace a starter by blind feeling bolts through a hole behind a passenger side wheel well cover.
Worked like a dream after that.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious what codes are showing now that you cleared the original set of codes and tried restarting. Also, did you try locking the door for two minutes before restarting? (No clue what that does, just saw it stated as a procedure to follow in the manual associated with the distribution module code).

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious what codes are showing now that you cleared the original set of codes and tried restarting. Also, did you try locking the door for two minutes before restarting? (No clue what that does, just saw it stated as a procedure to follow in the manual associated with the distribution module code).

If I remember right, it allows the gateway module to reset; effectively removing the codes from the module until they are set again.

ocdiscovery

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the info! I definitely would consider the starter. But once it's running, the eco-mode engages and it starts/stops without any issue whatsoever.

I had a very similar situation on my LR3. Intermittent starting issues progressively got worse.
Everything i saw lead me to believe it was an electrical issue. I was so accustomed to "traditional" starter failures that i didn't think it could possibly be a starter problem.
It just didn't have the typical symptoms of a starter failure.
Most vehicles will at least try to start, or give you solenoid click, or noise from a partial throw of the gear, or spin but no engagement. Not the old LR apparently. After troubleshooting everything i could think of i went ahead and replaced the starter.
First time i have had to replace a starter by blind feeling bolts through a hole behind a passenger side wheel well cover.
Worked like a dream after that.

LVDaytripper

Reaction score
Just to throw in my 2 cents here, you said PO replaced ECU and JCB, I experienced electrical gremlins which hindered the starting of my LR3 when I fixed my sunroof drain leak which required the removal of my JCB behind the glovebox. It was a PITA to re-install because of the terminals in the back of the JCB but got it in. Then the gremlins started to appear. Took me a couple of days tracing the problem down and fixed it when I pulled the JCB partway out then re-install and re-tighten which secured the rear terminal connections. Maybe you can try pushing the JCB in more and see if it resolves the no start condition.

ocdiscovery

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and guidance everyone. I really appreciate the help and it looks like we have finally resolved the starting issue.

At some point in time, there was a water leak in the cabin. Causing some corrosion to the wiring under the carpeting. After pulling up the carpeting, re-wiring some of the damaged grounds, we are finally up and running!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV