LR4 not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evapa

Reaction score
Hello,
I hope I can find a answer on a problem I am having. I have a 2010 LR4 lux with 60k on the odometer and have owned it for about 5 month's now and absolutely love the thing except for some bugs I have noticed. The problem happens every 200 times when i start it and when it does its annoying .

When I get into the driver seat to start the vehicle i get nothing from the push to start. My dash will show the normal lcd screen and odometer and the nav screen will show the land rover icon but it will not start. Like it dosent register the key. I tried my other spare key and does the same thing. Also I placed my key under the steering wheel for if it has a dead battery on the key fob and still won't give me the option to start.

The only way I can get the Rover to start is by locking the doors with the key fob and waiting 10 minutes for the computer to sleep then it will start. I have also noticed occasional problems with the radio stop working with the sound being muted completely and i would have to do the same procedure as turning off and waiting for the computer to sleep and then it would work.

Another problem to mention about a month ago my gas gauge said 1/4 on the dash and 60 miles to empty on the computer estimate and was stuck and I didn't notice until I ran out of gas on the freeway. Not sure if I need to reflash my cars ECU or if I might have a deeper problem. If anyone has ran into this problem please share. Thanks

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had to get the key recognition module replaced about a year ago for similar reasons. Fortunately it still is under warranty.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the fuel gauge, there is a TSB that may apply to you: https://app.box.com/s/fx3oda5fe3xbtujupx1pf5dnt08s3rhx

If the system didn't register the key, it would say so in the instrument cluster ("Smart Key Not Found") when you attempted to start the engine. If that message doesn't appear in your message center and the car acts like you haven't even pressed the Start/Stop button, the problem is most likely not with the key or key module. Perhaps the Start button itself is going bad. That might be tricky to troubleshoot if it happens so infrequently. How old is your battery?

Last edited:

Evapa

Reaction score
Never has displayed the "Smart Key Not Found" message when this issue happens. My battery is original and It hasent given me any indications that its dying but that doesn't mean anything. It might be time to replace. I did notice on one occasion when this issue happened the LR4 acted like it was going to start with the normal dash cluster warning lights and the nav screen loading then would turn off after a second before the starter. But if i took my foot of the brake it would then be able to go into acc and i would be able to shift but as soon as i put my foot on the brake pedal and try starting the LR4 it would power back off.

BlueOvalConvert

Reaction score
I am also a new owner and have had this same issue twice. I resolved it by pressing very ******* the brake pedal (as opposed to just regularly depressing the brake pedal under normal starting conditions). Somehow, that has worked for me.

Please update if you find out your issue as I am interested.

LOMartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this same issue on a new to me lr4. Dealer replaced the battery and all was; the battery did not show says of failure but it seems it was the cause of this problem.

Reaction score
Have a 2015 it didn't start on the 3rd day of owning it :mad: Had it towed to the dealership, said it was a starter and replaced it. Got it back a week later and now every fault possible. However, still had starting issues but I found if you just leave your foot on the brake and keep pressing that button can take up to 10 times it will go. Some days no issues? Hope that helps don't give up on the button :)

BP 15LR4

Reaction score
2015 LR4 owner - I am having this very same problem as we speak and I came across this forum while researching.....have brought it into the dealer 4 times now....they still have it. I have tried all/most of the "solutions" proposed above with limited success. It has happened to me about 5 times in the past 2 months. Dealer claims everything checks out fine....then they find something that "might" have caused it, then it happens again.....very frustrating.....has anyone actually had a documented resolution/fix to the problem?
Have you guys had this problem just disappear? or does it come back? If so, what does the dealer say?
Thanks

BP 15LR4

Reaction score
UPDATE - after a month of retrieving my LR4 and then returning it a couple of days later because the problem would re-appear, it seems the dealer finally solved it......it was a defective fuel-pump motor. I've had it for 2 weeks now and not a single recurrence. Fingers still crossed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM