LR4 Rear Locking Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellerby

Reaction score
I have ordered a new '11 LR4 and would like perspective on the optional rear locking differential. Is it worth the $750 for the HD upgrade (ful size spare and rear locking diff)? I am likely to have her off road quite a bit up in Northern Wisconsin. I do not anticipate much ********* stuff but like the idea of being better equipped if I do get the urge...

Any perspective would be greatly appreciated...I am leaning heavily towards biting the bullet...

Ellerby

Reaction score
Actually I will more than likely have the thing off road quite a bit up in northern Wisconsin...is the $750 worth it?

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one on my LR3, and i searched for one with it specifically. I'm very glad i have it, and the full sized spare. But honestly if you don't want to spend the money for whatever reason you will get along fine without one because the traction control almost invalidates the need for a locker. But Personally I'm glad i have it, and would be bummed if i had not gotten a truck with it. And Since your ordering it, I would add it, because it is considerably cheaper and easier to do it from the factory than do to it afterwards later. (I know you can add the rear locker on the LR3 through lots and lots of work thats not really worth the time or money, and am just assuming you can do so with the LR4) And it does help in off road situations or slippery conditions.

Hope this helps

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider is that prolonged low-traction drives might heat-up the rear brakes?

I noticed with my LR3 that after climbing a 30-40 degree grass/gravel slope, that is almost a mile long (Tally-** Trail), my yellow amber parking brake light would illuminate until the rear brakes cooled. On my Cayenne, the rear brakes are smoking at the top; but the Cayenne has traction issues.... The revs spike crazily as if you are going through mud or getting air.

I wonder if having a locking rear diff would eliminate some of the dependence on the traction control, and result in less wear/heat build-up on the rear brakes?

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, for one, haven't noticed any braking issues like that, and have the rear locker... but i have never been in that long of a period of constant traction control haha

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just go ahead and get it. When you're spending that kind of money, what's another $750? Better to get it than to regret it. I plan on doing a lot of off-roading, and ordered my 2011 with the HD package.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck locks it automatically. I don't think there is a way to manually force it to lock.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup the Rig does it on its own. It locks it when it deems necessary to regain traction. No manual way to do it. You can play around with the Terrain response and use "left-foot" braking to sometimes make it become more active.

Ellerby

Reaction score
Changed up the order yesterday and added the HD package...thanks for the input...now I can return focus to the valve train and leaking manifold on the old Series III...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4