LR4 "Smart" Charging Charging Strategy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any LR techs on here, or anyone else ever figured a way to bypass or defeat the "smart" charging strategy these trucks use?

I came across a report from a supposed LR engineer at one point that stated that the armored versions that LR produces do not have this "benefit".

I would assume that means that somewhere there is software with enough access to disable this feature, but likely not available even to dealer level users.

Alternatively, anybody ever devised a hardware workaround for this.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but thought I would throw it out there.

Krill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn’t even know there was such a thing as smart charging. Read several write ups on it and am still a little fuzzy on what the actual purpose of it is. From what I read it’s to save fuel economy by only running the alternator when it “needs” to? Got out a volt meter just to play around with it and idle charges 14.4v with high beams, all heated seats and A/c high but when the air compressor kicks on voltage drops to 12.2v till it shuts off then voltage climbs back to 14.3-14.4. I’m assuming it would shut down the charging while on the highway or something like when there isn’t a large load on it. I’d like to check the amps but don’t have the right meter, save for another day I guess.

Krill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any LR techs on here, or anyone else ever figured a way to bypass or defeat the "smart" charging strategy these trucks use?

I came across a report from a supposed LR engineer at one point that stated that the armored versions that LR produces do not have this "benefit".

I would assume that means that somewhere there is software with enough access to disable this feature, but likely not available even to dealer level users.

Alternatively, anybody ever devised a hardware workaround for this.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but thought I would throw it out there.

Why would you want to disable the system? Just curious what benifits you expect from not having it

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running a traxide dual battery system for a long while. I don't think the "smart" system does a good job of ever bringing both batteries up to a full charge.

From what I have read, I agree with you that fuel economy is the reason for the system. I couldn't care less about fuel economy at this point, so was wondering if anyone who cares more about Charging than fuel economy had found a work around.

Rberkel

Reaction score
Fit a battery to battery system. That will keep your secondary battery charged. If your main battery is "getting low" the alternator will kick in.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been dealt with a series of battery issues in mine as well. Someone explained to me that the "Smart" battery charging system is the stupidest thing to be designed into the vehicle. It ONLY charges your system after it drops to something like 12.3V, which is 70% of your battery.

The issue is, you don't drive your vehicle long enough for the alternator to fully charge your batteries. Even if you're driving for 2-3 hours straight, you'll never get a full charge. Oh and the "Smart" charging system will probably cap your "full" charge as well.

@avslash if you find a solution, please let me know. I'm on my 3rd battery already. My secondary battery definitely outlasted my main.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the ground cable with a no-BMS one and disable it on the CCF (on IIDTOOL under untested list, you need special access by Pat @ GAP)

Interesting. Have you done this mod?

Does the alternator then "behave" like a traditional alternator?

I'm off to email Pat now, but if it is truly this simple, I owe you a 12 pack.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA