LR4 squealing brake pads with a recent change from the dealer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i use akebono, coming from orange stuff ebc. i could attest that the akebono is a shrimp in regards to "bite feel". However once you sink your left foot further down with a touch bit more of force it stops the same. For my next brake change i shall be going back to EBC. ill take the extra brake dust for better pedal feel/stopping. dust=superb braking.
I don't mind the extra brake dust either considering I have gloss black wheels so you can't really see it except when you wash the wheels in the driveway. What a mess!

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW- Some context: I did the first brake job on my 2016 at 15k miles about a year ago. My miles are mainly stop and go (and that includes on the dang freeway). I scratched my head and read brake threads deciding about doing ceramics or sticking with OE pads. I finally decided to go with the proven performance that I was happy with and purchased OE Ferodo front and rear pad kits at a good price on sale from FCP Euro. I skipped purchasing new rotors as they seemed okay and might be good until the next go-round. I was very busy so I had my indy-mech do the brakes along with an oil service (with the standard caveat about using customer provided parts). After inspection he said that the rotors were marginal and that I might not be pleased with the job and/or subsequent wear of the pads. So I agreed to replaced the rotors w/ Zimmerman zinc coated (I wanted those anyway). To the point: I immediately experienced 'squealing' similar to that described by @f1racer328, at the very end of a stop or during slow speed maneuvering. It continued even after allowing time for 'bedding'. The performance and feel was as good as (maybe better than) new. Now, at 4K miles in, the squealing rarely happens, again, only at slow speed, and performance is still great. Could be my imagination, but the brake dust filth seems to be a bit less (the zinc rotors are still clean of corrosion and rust..perhaps that helps). BTW the indy guy's preference would have been 'Brembo' ceramic pads.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW- Some context: I did the first brake job on my 2016 at 15k miles about a year ago. My miles are mainly stop and go (and that includes on the dang freeway). I scratched my head and read brake threads deciding about doing ceramics or sticking with OE pads. I finally decided to go with the proven performance that I was happy with and purchased OE Ferodo front and rear pad kits at a good price on sale from FCP Euro. I skipped purchasing new rotors as they seemed okay and might be good until the next go-round. I was very busy so I had my indy-mech do the brakes along with an oil service (with the standard caveat about using customer provided parts). After inspection he said that the rotors were marginal and that I might not be pleased with the job and/or subsequent wear of the pads. So I agreed to replaced the rotors w/ Zimmerman zinc coated (I wanted those anyway). To the point: I immediately experienced 'squealing' similar to that described by @f1racer328, at the very end of a stop or during slow speed maneuvering. It continued even after allowing time for 'bedding'. The performance and feel was as good as (maybe better than) new. Now, at 4K miles in, the squealing rarely happens, again, only at slow speed, and performance is still great. Could be my imagination, but the brake dust filth seems to be a bit less (the zinc rotors are still clean of corrosion and rust..perhaps that helps). BTW the indy guy's preference would have been 'Brembo' ceramic pads.
Interesting perspective. Although my squealing didn't start until about 6 months in (maybe a little less) I probably had 3K miles on them at the time. That's when they started squealing. Never for the first 6 months and 3K miles. Maybe I should just wait to see if it's just going through a "period" and it will go away. Either way, the brakes work fine and the dealer is on record as to what to do so I'm not too worried about that. I'm actually seeing the dealer on something unrelated on Monday so maybe I'll pick their brain a little further. Thanks!

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I've found those to be temporary solutions once the compound wears off. At some point as the pad wears down you would think the solution would wear off. Maybe it impregnates itself into the pad. Then I would wonder what it would do to the effectiveness of stopping this behemoth of an SUV? I haven't even gone with the first set of replacements yet so I'll ask. Thanks!
Its design purpose is to help prevent glazing when brakes are brand new during the break-in period. Also, the carbon particles are a mix of nano sized particles and larger particles that are jagged. Thus braking is not compromised and yes, the material does embed itself into the pad with the application of heat and pressure. The product works to help dissipate some of the heat under breaking. The working theory is this action will prevent glazing during the break-in period when brakes are new.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its design purpose is to help prevent glazing when brakes are brand new during the break-in period. Also, the carbon particles are a mix of nano sized particles and larger particles that are jagged. Thus braking is not compromised and yes, the material does embed itself into the pad with the application of heat and pressure. The product works to help dissipate some of the heat under breaking. The working theory is this action will prevent glazing during the break-in period when brakes are new.
I'll be at the dealer on Monday but since the brakes are now a year old I'm guessing this product won't have any real effect anymore?

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Daveykid Yes, you assume correctly. A year, after the fact won’t help it. I find that long life brake pads seem to be the most prone to squeal. My thinking is the brake pad material is really hard (think lifetime brake warranty)and because of that, it is more prone to glazing over. It’s just an anecdotal hypothesis I have.

At any rate, i’ve always gone with high-performance, aftermarket pads or OEM pads. I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem squeaking with those choices. And lastly, I’ve always chosen to go with it’s better than OE brake rotors and pads. Land Rovers are heavy vehicles…

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have to chime in on this. Wow, talk about fortunate timing. I decided the other day to detail my wheels for the first time since I bought the vehicle a couple month ago. I never detail wheels, but the tire shine came with the car cleaning kit, so I thought I would give it a shot. As I was cleaning the wheels, I noticed a ton of brick/orange brown dust on the fronts (not much on the backs). Just in the last day, or so, I have heard a bit of squeal and wondered what it might be. I just had the LR4 in the shop not long ago for an oil change and they said the brakes looked fine. The only other thing I have done is taken it through a touchless car wash the other day. I selected the highest-end treatment they provided, which included an undercarriage spray. Maybe it's just the brakes. Haven't seen any sensors go off or anything.

Last edited:

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a ton of brick/orange brown dust on the fronts
I think what you are seeing is just 'rust dust' coming off of the rotors, mixed with brake dust. Fairly common and doesn't take long to form in wet, or simply humid, weather. And the truck doesn't have to sit still for very long for it to form. Yes, the fronts are worse..mine anyway. Try zinc coated rotors for your next brake job. I'm happy with them.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So as a follow up to the whole "Land Rover will replace the pads with same like and kind, then when those squeal again they'll go with Akebono pads..." Well apparently that came to an end. Dealer said JLR is now saying you'll just have to live with the squealing. Assuming the brakes otherwise work fine, there's nothing more they can do about it. Just like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA