LR4 squealing brake pads with a recent change from the dealer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess this is more of an FYI for those that have experienced it and didn't know why so here goes. So about a year ago I had my pads and rotors replaced at the dealer as part of my service and roughly 6 months ago I developed a brake squeal. I was just living with it for a while. Tried a few high speed hard braking runs to try and clean the pad compound off the rotors if that's what was causing it but it didn't get any better. I do own multiple race cars so I'm well aware of what squeal is, I understand what causes it from a high metallic content in the pad to pad material transfer using different pads on the same rotor and while I've experienced it on countless other street cars as well (primarily Porsche), never on my LR4. Always been quiet as a mouse. So while I was at the dealer I mentioned it to my service advisor and his response was "oh, you too?" I'm like, what? So apparently during Covid JLR had to source other manufacturers for brake pads and many people have been experiencing excessive squealing. Not on the RR BBK's or anything like that, just your average replacement pads. So I asked if I was just supposed to live with it? He said the protocol JLR has asked them to follow is bring it back, they'll swap out the pads for more of the same (which he admits is useless), then when they squeal again they are authorized to go with an aftermarket pad they know won't squeal. Akebono pads. Their claim to fame was quiet and dust free so maybe they'll be fine for street use on an SUV. Who knows.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you end up going with the Akebono pads? My OEM brakes have always squealed at lower speeds during light braking.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beware the Akebonos don't have the same "bite" as the OE pads that make your wheels filthy. I have had good luck with Brembo ceramics which are about 1/2 between stock and akebonos for mess. They have good feel and power.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F1, no I haven't yet. In fact I'm still on the first set of the replacement pads.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beware the Akebonos don't have the same "bite" as the OE pads that make your wheels filthy. I have had good luck with Brembo ceramics which are about 1/2 between stock and akebonos for mess. They have good feel and power.
Funny you say that because I had to make a bit of an emergency stop a couple months ago and the pads that are on it now that squeal (not the Akebonos yet) had quite a bit of pedal fade and a loss of initial bite compared to the previous stock pads. I was talking to one of the owners at my race shop and he told me to avoid the Akebonos at all cost and they refuse to use them on any of their German cars they service...which is pretty much 100%.

I had zero squeal up to the replacement of the pads and rotors so maybe it's something I need to get used to. The other thing is I live in Chicago, in the city, and by its very nature there is quite a bit of stop and go from traffic light to traffic light or stop sign to stop sign so it can really get annoying.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No they shouldn't squeal. Did they replace the rotors on the last brake service? That little lip from the wear can make things noisy until things get bedded better (or not)

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No they shouldn't squeal. Did they replace the rotors on the last brake service? That little lip from the wear can make things noisy until things get bedded better (or not)
Yes the rotors were replaced as well as the ABS sensors and any other related hardware. The calipers were fine.

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To help mitigate the brake squeal issue the dealer should have used a “brake no-squeal” or “Brake Quiet”. It’s a formulated black carbon solution that is applied directly to the surface of the brake pad. Valvoline (Bardahl, Justice Bros. to name a few) offers this type of product for the prevention of brake squeal. Most dealers that offer this type of brake product will have a 100% no squeal warranty. This product is only available through dealers and installers.

Daveykid

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To help mitigate the brake squeal issue the dealer should have used a “brake no-squeal” or “Brake Quiet”. It’s a formulated black carbon solution that is applied directly to the surface of the brake pad. Valvoline (Bardahl, Justice Bros. to name a few) offers this type of product for the prevention of brake squeal. Most dealers that offer this type of brake product will have a 100% no squeal warranty. This product is only available through dealers and installers.
Interesting. I've found those to be temporary solutions once the compound wears off. At some point as the pad wears down you would think the solution would wear off. Maybe it impregnates itself into the pad. Then I would wonder what it would do to the effectiveness of stopping this behemoth of an SUV? I haven't even gone with the first set of replacements yet so I'll ask. Thanks!

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use akebono, coming from orange stuff ebc. i could attest that the akebono is a shrimp in regards to "bite feel". However once you sink your left foot further down with a touch bit more of force it stops the same. For my next brake change i shall be going back to EBC. ill take the extra brake dust for better pedal feel/stopping. dust=superb braking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA