LR4 vs Defender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't see much difference in off-road capability between the LR3/4, D5 and Defender. They are all based on the same technology (reverse ABS), all use the same algorithms, can all be equipped with rear lockers with the only difference being tire size capability.

Not hating on any specific model. Just stating the obvious.

khaldrago

Reaction score
except, with defender, you can manually lock front and rear diff . it would be a bit more fun (and challenging) if i could do that with the LR4

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
except, with defender, you can manually lock front and rear diff . it would be a bit more fun (and challenging) if i could do that with the LR4

Thought that the Defender options were locking center and rear diffs, no front. Same as all other models except manual selection? Manual would be a value add for flat towing behind a motorhome? Not sure it is useful on trails.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can "manually", via touchscreen, lock center and rear differentials (if your Defender is so equipped - only center locking diff is standard on all trims, while rear lockers and configurable Terrain Response are separate and optional packs on all trims except the loaded Defender X), but no modern Land Rover comes with a locking front diff from the factory, as far as I know.

The new Defender does have substantially better ground clearance, approach, departure and breakover angles than any other model in LR's lineup currently, and it's supposedly built on a strengthened platform that should be able to take more abuse off-road.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can manually lock the diffs in a new defender? Where did you see this?

edit: never mind, I see you can do that in the touch screen.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D5 has worked for many of Kingley Holgate's expeditions the last four years including the 12,000 mile Extreme East Expedition which incorporated a high-speed run through Somalia with 25 armed guards as their security detail. They said they already had 80,000 miles on the truck when they took that on.

http://www.kingsleyholgate.com/expeditions/extreme-east-expedition-to-ras-xaafun-somalia/

https://www.landroverkenya.com/expl...gate-and-the-worlds-most-travelled-land-rover

http://www.kingsleyholgate.com/expeditions/

One could argue that he's a Land Rover Ambassador and has been supported by Land Rover for many many years and has a support crew of Defenders. All of that is true. But the vehicles have been running all over Africa with his expeditions - they must be basically sound or I'm guessing he would have asked to go back to an LR4 or another old Defender. Speaking of which - wonder when LR will give him a new Defender?

Given this, I'm sure a D5 can drive up a forest service road a few miles for some camping. Jeez.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh ya, lots of cars could get up that road but would they look so damn good once they got there?!? [emoji3]

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only one way to solve this....get Disco3,4,5, and D2 together and run the same trails.
I suggest Potts Mt VA, Uwharrie NC, or AoAA PA but Ill volunteer to run my modified LR3 anywhere on the east coast to see this match-up happen. Finding a new defender owner willing to wheel will be the challenge...Maybe Justin @ Lucky8 will be the 1st!

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless you are actively off roading, the LR4 seems to be the winner for most of my driving. i think the 2013 LR4 will be highly collectible in the next 15 to 20 yrs. they quite possibly reached perfection with the last V8.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless you are actively off roading, the LR4 seems to be the winner for most of my driving. i think the 2013 LR4 will be highly collectible in the next 15 to 20 yrs. they quite possibly reached perfection with the last V8.

We do actively off-road and I agree with your statement. It's certainly been the best car we've owned

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above. The LR4 does so many things well that it is difficult to make direct comparisons. A late model Landcruiser seems most direct to me, but good luck getting those seats to fold flat.

I have modded mine for my use, and at this point, my only real complaint is the inability to regear for larger tires. The gearing became very evident to me as my tire size passed the 33 inch mark.

Other than that, and the 4,500.00 HD half shafts I keep drooling over, at L8, i wouldn't change anything at this point.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72