LR4 windshield replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my window is done. The LR-logoed Pilkington OEM glass ($1100 USD) was unavailable North America wide according to the local LR dealer. So I went with the OEE (Original equipment equivalent) grade Pilkington without the LR logo on it. Also swapped down to the one without the heating element since I always hated those things. Both the one they pulled out (which was not original) and the one they put in had a slight issue in fitting and lining up the VIN window - not sure of the cause and not going to stress about it. At the end of the day, the mobile installers were thorough and explained everything as they went. Took about 90 min start to finish.

Glass: $195
Labor: $150
Total: $345 (all covered by my insurance through AAA).

My take-aways: LR-logoed Pilkington glass is priced like gold-covered ****. Seems pretty outrageous. I can't believe for a second that it's 5x better quality.

I haven't tried the rain sensors yet which is a thing that apparently some windows cause to malfunction or not work correctly but I was never in love with the sensing anyway.

So my chapter is happily closed. Hope that this thread helps others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked out. IMO Fresh clear cheap glass is better than an old pitted OEM piece. They break just the same.

thingsm3

Reaction score
Great to hear that. Btw, did you notice on your repair if the black pieces covering the sides of the windshield are loose? My shake at highway speeds after safelite replaces my windshield.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great to hear that. Btw, did you notice on your repair if the black pieces covering the sides of the windshield are loose? My shake at highway speeds after safelite replaces my windshield.
I have not noticed but will pay attention and see. My guess is that might be from them reusing those clips?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is no good. Soon they will let go in a strong crosswind

thingsm3

Reaction score
Troy, did you get to check the black plastic covers on the a pillar? Any wobble at speed? Mine is most noticeable at the bottom half around 50 mph.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy, did you get to check the black plastic covers on the a pillar? Any wobble at speed? Mine is most noticeable at the bottom half around 50 mph.
No wobble that I could see and were on the highway at 70mph. Seems like you may want to have that double-checked (and maybe replace the clips again??) Doesn't seem right.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are wobbling, they will definitely let go at some point. I had one pop off on the freeway right after my windshield was repaired. They used new OEM clips, and it didn’t seem loose, but I could hear wind noise and it popped off in a strong crosswind on the freeway. Thankfully it hung on by one tab without breaking until I pulled over.

The company came out and fixed it in 10 minutes without remounting the windshield. It’s been fine since.

thingsm3

Reaction score
Cool. I went back to safelite (just another location though since I moved) and they did a warranty repair and changed the clips, fixed the exposed wires as well by pulling a sheath over it. This location (Pasadena,ca) did a great job. Looking forward to seeing how it drives and if there’s any wobble.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV