LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the heck is an American GM dealership doing at a secret Jaguar Land Rover preview meeting in the UK, anyway? Was he undercover? Is he a spy? :biggrin:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I am not sure how accurate this is, but a GM friend of mine at a dealership was just in the UK at a meeting with Jaguar/Land Rover and was able to see the final form of the "LR5", which will be called just a "Discovery". He said it looks just like the Discovery vision concept that Land Rover showed before the Discovery Sport was released. It's pretty big, but has that same design and look. Some of the people at the meeting were pretty disappointed, even though he said it was very nicely built and appointed.

Oh well.
While that sucks.

Be curious to hear how the actual interior is laid out. If I recall, the Vision shown had a a pretty futuristic interior that seemed more trade show experimentation than what you'd actually put in a production car.

And tailgate...I wonder what they did with that. Or if they have that stupid sliding ass mat and how far that thing sticks out and how much cargo space it takes away...

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While that sucks.

Be curious to hear how the actual interior is laid out. If I recall, the Vision shown had a a pretty futuristic interior that seemed more trade show experimentation than what you'd actually put in a production car.

And tailgate...I wonder what they did with that. Or if they have that stupid sliding ass mat and how far that thing sticks out and how much cargo space it takes away...

He told me there is a split tailgate, but it seemed like a smaller, more rounded cargo area. It also had an automatic tailgate lift, much like the RR.

He said they did not get a chance to really explore the interior, and I forgot what it looked like in the concept, but he said it was more of a button-less touch screen - much like the Tesla. He said it was very futuristic.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the heck is an American GM dealership doing at a secret Jaguar Land Rover preview meeting in the UK, anyway? Was he undercover? Is he a spy? :biggrin:

He actually spends part of the year at corporate. I am not sure how much of this is accurate, but he has been right in the past. He is the one that told me that the SCV6 would come in 2014, way before the forum debate ;)

He also said he knows nothing of the Defender, it's very hush hush.

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LC is simply not worth anywhere near it's current price, which is now actually $80k MSRP base price before options!

My feelings exactly. We looked at a new Land Cruiser as a "replacement" for our LR4. We have always like Land Cruisers and we have considered one a couple of times. But every time I drive one and spend time with one I always leave with the feeling that they are way overpriced. Even in the '15, which has more niceties and a much nicer interior than the previous models, I still feel that they are not worth the price. I mean they drive ok, the interior is ok, and I am a fan of the exterior. But overall they definitely do not drive like an $80k+ vehicle should and they are not equipped like one either. Our 2010 LR4 Lux had a better ride, and a nicer, and higher quality interior and I think it would be superior off road. The LC's third row seats are terrible and they take up a lot of cargo space even when folded.

elrocko

Reaction score
Discovery 5

I love the boxy look of my LR4 but I think the Discovery Vision is a pretty great looking vehicle. It's still relatively boxy, they've just smoothed the edges a bit. We all know it won't look as futuristic once the production version comes out. I think it might be a good-looking vehicle. Overall, it's still a tall, three-row SUV. Yes, it won't be as macho as my LR4 but let's be honest, with body-painted bumpers, 19 inch wheels, air suspension, and a $60K sticker, my LR4 isn't really as rugged as I'd like to think it is. I'm sure the new one will be just as capable off-road.

elrocko

Reaction score
dscowhite.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He actually spends part of the year at corporate. I am not sure how much of this is accurate, but he has been right in the past. He is the one that told me that the SCV6 would come in 2014, way before the forum debate ;)

He also said he knows nothing of the Defender, it's very hush hush.

Actually, the only thing he knew about the Defender was that the design has been signed off, it likely would not be built in the UK, and there will be about 3 trim levels....... 130, 110, and 90.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the boxy look of my LR4 but I think the Discovery Vision is a pretty great looking vehicle. It's still relatively boxy, they've just smoothed the edges a bit. We all know it won't look as futuristic once the production version comes out. I think it might be a good-looking vehicle. Overall, it's still a tall, three-row SUV. Yes, it won't be as macho as my LR4 but let's be honest, with body-painted bumpers, 19 inch wheels, air suspension, and a $60K sticker, my LR4 isn't really as rugged as I'd like to think it is. I'm sure the new one will be just as capable off-road.

I agree that it will likely be sharp looking, but a lot of iconic type folks would probably not want it, so maybe the Defender will make us happy. :) I know what you mean about being not as rugged as you would like to think, sometimes I feel the same.

I have gone back and forth with jwest about Land Cruisers and G wagens, but in the end I stil have my LR4. I don't think I will get rid of it, but I see myself getting something else, maybe a new Defender if I actually like it. We shall see.

What vehicle, off the showroom floor, do you think is rugged (aside from a truck)? I know that's a really open question, but I wonder what modern SUV is truley really rugged, capable, and built like a tank without spending a bunch of money.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM