Major Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow. That does seem quite rare for only 31k miles. Did you buy your LR4 new with few miles?

I leased my LR4 with 26 miles on it!
Have about 8 months to go until the end of the lease.

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow. That does seem quite rare for only 31k miles. Did you buy your LR4 new with few miles?

Very rare indeed. I had this issue years ago when I had a Tahoe but using Regular gasoline as I only cared about price rather than fuel quality. Dealer repaired under warranty but recommended using premium brand gasolines (not the grade) on the car and never had the problem repeating. I have a 14 years-old MB and I have used Premium gasoline from Chevron/Texaco, Shell and Exxon (in order of preference). Still working just fine after 106K miles. If you only have other brands as a choice I recommend pouring a bottle of Techron every 3 to 5 full tanks, i.e. at least filling your tank with 20 gallons. It really works in keeping very clean your fuel system and valves and it is standard additive already in all Chevron gasoline grades. No need to use Techron if you buy Chevron of course. Shell Premium grade is excellent and delivers as promises. And you can trust always good old Exxon Premium grade. "Holy grail" of Premium grades is from Amoco as they keep such grade fully segregated from any grade from production to pump and their additives really keep the fuel system clean (probably better than Chevron). When I have travelled along country roads and I can't find any of these brands, I keep a bottle of Techron handy.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
baobay,

Do you know why the fuel injectors were bad?

I have a bit of experience driving in harsh conditions and with "bad" (i.e. low octane) gasoline. However, I feel that the high levels of additives (methanol) in current blends are exceptionally bad for the high performance engines like the Jaguar V8. I suspect this could be a contributing factor--"One of the potential drawbacks of using high concentrations of methanol (and other alcohols, such as ethanol) in fuel is the corrosivity to some metals of methanol, particularly to aluminium. Methanol, although a weak acid, attacks the oxide coating that normally protects the aluminum from corrosion."

The Land Rover components are mostly high-quality, but are part of a very sophisticated design and manufactured for strict tolerances. Deviation causes a lot of problems...

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just passed 60k on my 2012 without any self caused issues... I would suspect bad fuel....

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just passed 60k on my 2012 without any self caused issues... I would suspect bad fuel....

I use premium Exxon/Mobil fuel and have never used anything else. Not sure what you mean by "self caused issues".

Last edited:

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up the LR4. So far so good. Actually feels like its driving better than before the problem. Engine seems to be smoother and I feel as if I have some more power. Could be my imagination, but I definitely notice a difference.
Here is what was done.

Attachments

• IMG_7465.jpg
    IMG_7465.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 64

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up the LR4. So far so good. Actually feels like its driving better than before the problem. Engine seems to be smoother and I feel as if I have some more power. Could be my imagination, but I definitely notice a difference.
Here is what was done.

So what is your theory? Bad fuel? Bad install? (the leak?)

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what is your theory? Bad fuel? Bad install? (the leak?)

I'm not sure. I think it may be just a bad install. Or a bad batch of Fuel. Just not sure what would have caused this and neither is the service manager.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72