Major Mileage Issue - Under 12mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

DuoRovers

I have both a '05 RR HSE and an '05 LR3 HSE that we just purchased for my wife. The LR3 has approximately 1500 miles and the milege is horrible. We drive almost exclusively on county highway so there are a few stops/starts but the majority is 50-60 mph. I haven't done a hand calculation on mileage but the computer frequently has been less than 12. As a comparison the '05 RR driven hard will average just over 15. I took the LR3 for a day and drove like there was an egg on the gas pedal and was only able to get in the 13's. Over Christmas we traveled and reset the computer at the end of an on-ramp and pulled off upper 14's but couldn't manage to get over 15 mpg. The freeway is nearly flat with some rolling hills, 800' above sea level, little or no wind, and running premium fuel.

Has anyone else had any success with the transportation mode fix? I will run it past the dealer on the next oil change. BTW - I never really expected to get great mileage but 20% worse than my RR is sort of a surprise. Maybe there is something to be said about the BMW driveline vs. the Jag driveline on the LR3.

T

Tomasz

If you guys are relying on the trip computer to get your milage - STOP! Do it the old way - fill it up, count nu,ber of miles driven, fill it up again. Do the math. Mileage computers are inaccurate and NOT basis for comparisons between vehicles and especially makes.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know if all the complaints are coming from cold climates? I bought mine at the end of september in MI and the mileage was ok, as it got colder my mileage on both around town and highway dropped by at least 3mpg. Currently, driving super mildly, I'm getting 12 around town and 15.5 highway. I'm wondering if it has a hyper active choke?
The other funny thing I've noticed is that I can log 4 hours of 15 mpg on the highway, get off the highway and step on it once or twice and the avg plummets. Something wrong with the way the computer averages.

R

ronprx

Live in so cal and drive almost always local city streets. Never get over 12mpg. I just live with it

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is everyone really running with decent tire pressure? If you run low, mileage will be impacted. I know when I took delivery, I had to raise them almost 10 PSI.

12 MPG stuck in city stop and go is about right, but I still get 15 MPG mixed in my world. I just finished a long highway trip, with some hills, and got 18.2 MPG with 3 adults and 2 kids and little cargo.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lacarruk1

Original Poster with Resolution!

daytomann said:
Thats good...what are they going to do?

As of 12/31/2005, I am the proud owner of a 2006 LR3 HSE. The dealership bought the truck back and gave me a brand new one. They really came through and I am impressed.

One slight issue with the new truck is the Nav screen had a scratch. They have already committed to replacing.

So I could not be happier at this time. I will keep you all posted as to what kind of mileage I get on the new one!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tomasz

Is that a joke? You got a new car because of mileage? That is the most generous thing I have ever seen. If I were you I would NEVER gat any other car than a Land Rover. Congrats!

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lacarruk1, and the mystery question... Did they EVER try doing the transport mode fix on your old vehicle? If not, they were idiots...!

D

dronedog

well i just went thru my first tank. actually it was just over half a tank. my vehicle is not new and i heard of the gas tank problem. (this one was swapped already) but the dealer mentioned something about part of the problem being the guage showing a qtr tank and it actually being empty. i was sure so i filled up early. the guage was pretty close. as was the computer mileage figure. i got about 14.6 with mixed driving. now that was one tank. i know i filled it pretty good but i don't know if the dealer did. so i will do a few tanks and see what it shows.
funny thing, though, as i was filling the tank the front end lowered a little. i had shut the car off and i was just filling the tank. but i saw it go down. only seemed to be the front. i guess that is ok. i should make it easier to fill the tank. hmmmm.
The Dog

L

lacarruk1

Tomasz said:
Is that a joke? You got a new car because of mileage? That is the most generous thing I have ever seen. If I were you I would NEVER gat any other car than a Land Rover. Congrats!

This is correct. NEW CAR. I am very pleased with LandRover and the dealership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72