Major Mileage Issue - Under 12mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

lacarruk1

I know there has been discussion on this forum regarding mileage issues, but just curious how many people are still having issues. I also wanted to know the average city and highway mileage you are getting in your LR3 HSE's.

I have a 2005 LR3 HSE. Since driving off the lot, all I ever got was up to 11.7 mpg on average. My gas fill up light would come on at 242 miles. I brought it in for service. They told me to keep driving it and mileage should improve with more engine useage.

I continued to drive and drive until 6500 miles. Still 11.7 or 11.8mpg. UNACCEPTABLE. This is no matter if I go city or highway. I contacted my dealer and told them about the West Chester PA LandRover mileage solution (sych your transmission and rebuild ECU from ground up). They said they would try it. BUT - instead, after some analysis, they said the Oxygen sensor was bad and this should fix all my problems. They asked if a tech could drive my truck home to test it out with about 120 miles.

They said they were seeing a little over 13 mpg. I still think this is unacceptable. I have been driving more and I am seeing about 12.5mpg on average now. I am very frustrated and bringing the truck back to the dealer for a third time on Wednesday. I am going to ask them to try the West Chester LandRover solution.

I have read on this forum that some people are getting over 20mpg,some over 16, etc.... Why would the truck have so many variations on what people are getting. I am light on the peddle too.

Any ideas? Do you think this has "Lemon" possibilities? Is anyone else getting similar crappy mileage?

Thanks

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zdas04

With 15,000 miles I've averaged 19 mpg on the highway and 17.5 in the city or in the mud. I live at 5,000 ft elevation and regularly work at over 7,000 ft. I always use 91 octane fuel. I tried a tank of "regular" and didn't like the hesitation.

David

New Mexico, USA
2005 LR3 SE, White

Last edited by a moderator:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
What grade of fuel are you running?

I am also not saying your not light on the peddle, but I know when my wife drives her vehicle (non-LR) she gets around 16 - 17, when I drive and not in a hurry I get 20 - 22 mpg. Same vehicle, arrive at the same time give or take 5 minutes, but yet I do better than her.... you tell me.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm only at 1200 miles, but I'm getting 13.1 on my commute (1/2 city-1/2 freeway and lots of ups and downs) and about 18 in freeway only driving. I'm using 87 octane fuel per my dealer's recommendation, driving at 4200 feet above sea level. I think it matters greatly not only your driving habits, but also the altitude and nature of the terrain you cover.

T

toddjb123

I get the posted mileage, sometimes better. About 9000 miles and I run the high octane gas...but I'm thinking I may be wasting some money there based on others responses! :)

If you DO switch fuel grades, I'm pretty sure you have to give the car a couple tank fulls before you make any performance opinions. It takes the computer some time to adjust I'm told.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have paid a lot of attention to the LR3's MPG and have some things to add...

My 1st LR3 had an issue with mpg but it was sporadic. Once it got 8 mpg while we wre in D.C. The 2nd truck gets 270 miles every tank. (4000 miles)

Here is what I've figured out (I've driven 8 different LR3-loaners). Basically you are going to get 250 - 265 miles out of a tank of gas (fuel light comes on). Some people will get on the highway and reset the computer then come her and say "I get 19 mpg". Can someone say they have gotten 380 miles out of 20 gallons of fuel in their LR3. If you have please tell us here.

The truth (IMO) is the truck may average 19 mpg on the highway but it's also sometimes getting about 8 city pulling the average way down.

3 things to reconcile:

1. For a 6000lb truck it gets good gas mileage
2. Land Rover clearly lied on the sticker... 14-18... tsk tsk.
3. Very few of us drive in conditions that require more then 87 octane fuel.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Indeed, it's good for something heaviest in class. 2) The test is done by the EPA, not Land Rover! It's a standard reference point. 3) I'm not starting another octane battle/conspiracy thread, but do note that Land Rover itself (not a dealer) still recommends 91 octane for the V8 engine and it's higher compression ratio.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten 440 miles out of 21 gallons, as measured "manually" (not by computer) on a long boring mostly flat drive. That's about 21 MPG, with two people in the vehicle... and the back loaded with a few hundred pounds. No roof rack, etc. If it was just me and empty, it might be a little better.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As to octane, and sorry if this has been beaten to death already, I understand that lower octane is appropriate at high altitude, where it may not be closer to sea level. I was told where I live to use 87 octane and to put in a tank of 91 every 4th tank or so. I have not noticed a difference in milage in the few tanks of both that I have run. BTW, I agree this truck gets pretty good milage for a vehicle this heavy. It weighs about the same as my old Expedition, but gets 3-6 mpg better city-highway and has far better acceleration, at least when not towing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72