Major Mileage Issue - Under 12mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

lacarruk1

backpain said:
I've had my LR3 since early January and consitently average (per the computer) 14.9mpg. If I am easy with the pedal I can push it to the mid 15's and if it's all highway (like my trips to NJ from DC) I average mid 17's. I can make it average 12 mixed driving and can make it average 19 highway but I 1) don't need to stomp on every start and driving 60 to NJ exit 10 takes to freaking long.

I'm happy with it.
Do me a favor. I am an NJ owner too! Next time you fill up the tank, reset the trip counter. See how many miles you go before the gas light comes on.

Thanks

U

UnbrknCh8n

Living at about 4500 feet, I get 16-18 mpg on the highway, and about 15 mpg in mixed driving (figured both manually and with the sometimes unreliable trip computer). This is with hi-octane gas; I tried mid-octane (trying to save some money and to see what it did to my mileage) and lost about 2 mpg.

One thing I have noticed is the dramatic change in mpg related to a change in my speed. Travelling at 80 mph I get 15-16 mpg. At 55 mph, I can get 20 mph. Of course, I knew that slowing down would save gas, but it has been interesting to see this demonstrated in my driving (I've put 22,000 miles on my '05 SE, and have too much time to think about such things as mileage).

S

sgllr3

'06 LR3, about 300 miles

mixed driving about 14-15 mpg.

reset the computer for city streets, no hard accelleration, about 11 mpg.

the car is young, but so am I. maybe I'll just change the screen display to something else.

I have to say that my '97 pathfinder got about the same mileage (~13-14 mpg) and has the same EPA on the sticker as the LR3. However... my LR3 is so much nicer!!

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lacarruk1 said:
I just dropped the vehicle off. My gas light comes on at 242 miles every time like clockwork. I read on this forum that others are getting over 16mpg in city and over 20hwy. Is your new LR3 a 2005 or a 2006? I asked my dealer to try the West Chester LR solution. I will see what happens next.....

A. I think when people say they get 16-20 they mean when they reset the computer on the highway that's what they see. I don't think that is the average over the tank.

B. The 'West Chester Fix' may be a myth... Though in my experience it doesn't hurt because many times they find that the truck wasn't "fully" out of transport mode.

GL

U

UnbrknCh8n

askewed said:
A. I think when people say they get 16-20 they mean when they reset the computer on the highway that's what they see. I don't think that is the average over the tank.

B. The 'West Chester Fix' may be a myth... Though in my experience it doesn't hurt because many times they find that the truck wasn't "fully" out of transport mode.

When I say that I get generally get 16-18 mpg on pure highway driving, I mean that:
-I have gotten over 370 miles on one tank of gas, and
-When i put, for instance, 18 gallons of (hi octane) gas in my '05 LR3,
and I have travelled 310 miles on this 18 gallons, I can divide 310 by
18 and see than I have gotten 17.2 mpg.

Of course, in all city driving (with lots of starts and stops), sometime I don't get more than 13-14 mpg).

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone should test the thing at an idle.

I think it gets -5 mpg when it's standing still... Why is that?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All my cars get poor MPG while sitting still for some reason, no matter how I do the math. It's always 0 MPG. :)

L

LR3_Magic

I have just a little over 5800 miles on my 2005 LR3 HSE and have averaged 15.7 miles/gal for that mileage. I've saved my gas reciepts so I feel good about this number. It's a mix of city and highway driving with some offroad driving thrown in.

M

mike01

I think the major difference between mpg that people report is that some people trust the computer while others only trust reality (fill up & reset trip computer, drive, fill up again, divide miles driven by gallons added to the tank (ie gallons used)).

It's tempting to think the mileage computer is accurate. Now I have no experience with the computer in the LR3, but a previous vehicle I drove had major discrepancies between what the computer said my mpg was and what it really was. For example, the computer would tell me I had 15-18mpg, but when doing the math on the refils, I had 21-23 mpg.

Maybe the LR3 computer's algorithm is no better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo