Major Mileage Issue - Under 12mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get the motor and drivetrain upgrade to synthetic oil, you may get 2 to 5 MPG better with 3 being about the aveage. In stop and go ... well your not going to get any better mileage ... Synthetic oil reduces the friction by about 50 to 75% hence the better gas mileage.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grommet said:
2) The test is done by the EPA, not Land Rover!

The sticker is printed by Land Rover and put on the car by them. They aren't exactly innocent in this. If your best friend found out that your wife cheats on you but he doesn't tell you... He even goes so far as to slap a sticker on her ass that says she doesn't cheat... Is he lying to you?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our fine government mandates that this is posted on the window sticker, askewed. If you believe Land Rover is "lying" about the EPA tests, go to the source: http://www.fueleconomy.org

Anyway, like I said... it's a standardized test used for comparison purposes between vehicles and may not reflect your real world use. I'm sure there is a FAQ on the government site.

L

lacarruk1

Reply to Askewed

askewed said:
I have paid a lot of attention to the LR3's MPG and have some things to add...

My 1st LR3 had an issue with mpg but it was sporadic. Once it got 8 mpg while we wre in D.C. The 2nd truck gets 270 miles every tank. (4000 miles)

Here is what I've figured out (I've driven 8 different LR3-loaners). Basically you are going to get 250 - 265 miles out of a tank of gas (fuel light comes on). Some people will get on the highway and reset the computer then come her and say "I get 19 mpg". Can someone say they have gotten 380 miles out of 20 gallons of fuel in their LR3. If you have please tell us here.

The truth (IMO) is the truck may average 19 mpg on the highway but it's also sometimes getting about 8 city pulling the average way down.

3 things to reconcile:

1. For a 6000lb truck it gets good gas mileage
2. Land Rover clearly lied on the sticker... 14-18... tsk tsk.
3. Very few of us drive in conditions that require more then 87 octane fuel.

I just dropped the vehicle off. My gas light comes on at 242 miles every time like clockwork. I read on this forum that others are getting over 16mpg in city and over 20hwy. Is your new LR3 a 2005 or a 2006? I asked my dealer to try the West Chester LR solution. I will see what happens next.....

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is an early build '05 LR3 HSE. But model year doesn't really factor into this. Hopefully your ECU will start behaving post-fix!

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grommet said:
Our fine government mandates that this is posted on the window sticker, askewed. If you believe Land Rover is "lying" about the EPA tests, go to the source: http://www.fueleconomy.org

Anyway, like I said... it's a standardized test used for comparison purposes between vehicles and may not reflect your real world use. I'm sure there is a FAQ on the government site.

grommet - I hope you see that what you keep stating isn't what I'm talking about. The sticker may be legal, mandated, not from LR and on but it's still disingenuous at it's core.

How many mile do you get before refilling?

L

lacarruk1

lacarruk1 said:
I just dropped the vehicle off. My gas light comes on at 242 miles every time like clockwork. I read on this forum that others are getting over 16mpg in city and over 20hwy. Is your new LR3 a 2005 or a 2006? I asked my dealer to try the West Chester LR solution. I will see what happens next.....
First visit = Was told Mileage is OK and would improve with more driving.
Second visit = Was told Oxygen Sensor was bad. Mileage will be better.
Third Visit = Just got the call, now they are telling me the rear locking differential is locked and has been for some time. This is why I am getting 12mpg all the time. We shall see.....

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
askewed, I'm not a "run until it's empty" person... so the miles I get between fill-ups are rarely constant. Based on my recent gas receipts and logs, I get 15 MPG when I'm using it as a mixed use daily driver here in Northern California. So, for me... the EPA MPG rating is quite close. You already know what I get with freeway only use from my previous post. "Your mileage may vary." :D

Of course, I can cause the mileage to plummet by driving it very hard, never getting on the freeway, loading up the vehicle, go off-roading, etc. This isn't a sub-compact. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sierragirl

I did the math and am surprised that no matter how I drive I seem to get right around 14 miles to the gallon. This is whether its just me, or me with bike/boyfriend/dog, it doesn't really matter.

B

backpain

I've had my LR3 since early January and consitently average (per the computer) 14.9mpg. If I am easy with the pedal I can push it to the mid 15's and if it's all highway (like my trips to NJ from DC) I average mid 17's. I can make it average 12 mixed driving and can make it average 19 highway but I 1) don't need to stomp on every start and driving 60 to NJ exit 10 takes to freaking long.

I'm happy with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo