Major Mileage Issue - Under 12mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U

UnbrknCh8n

askewed said:
...Can someone say they have gotten 380 miles out of 20 gallons of fuel in their LR3. If you have please tell us here.

I admit that the trip computer can often be inaccurate, and for measuring mpg one really needs to divide the miles driven by the amount of gas put in.

Just to make sure that I haven' t been foolin' myself about the mileage I've been getting (because some on this list really seem to be getting horrible mileage) I checked my last tank.

From fill-up to fill-up I drove 361 miles (90% highway driving). I put 20.6 gallons of gas in, giving me 17.5 mpg. My computer (somewhat surprisingly) read 17.8 mpg.

This was with hi octane gas. Previously, I tried mid octane, but lost about 2 mpg on my mileage (thus offsetting the savings realized by the cheaper gas).

The huge differences in mph many of us are getting is strange. I wonder if the adaptable transmission could be playing a role?

F

flowner

Just before I traded my 05 is was able to get 20mpg on hwy going 55- 65. My new 06 now get 18mpg on the same trip. I think with time the millage on my 06 will improve to my 05 levels. It had 15k when I traded. The best possible gas millage is using 6gear at 40mph in my 05 you get close to 30 mpg. But you will notice that in 6th, it will struggle to go up hill. This is probably why the automactic won't down shift to 6 if you drive under 50.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zbskii

The trip computer most likely measures mpg by the known pressure of the fuel injectors as a function of time. Given that most production car's fuel injectors aren't mapped and blueprinted, there's some error that can creep in. The old pen and paper is the most accurate.

D

daytomann

Did any of you guys buy this truck because you wanted a gas mizer? Its a 300 HP 4.4 V8 and the truck is pretty heavy. Gas milage is gonna somewhat suck. Maybe those who complain shoulda got a Toyota or Honda. Or at the least the new Dodge with the Hemi that has the gimmicy Multi Displacement Engine..it might get 2 or 3 MPG better than normal engines.

IMHO, if the LR3 gets anywhere from 14 to 19, I'll be happy. Hell, my 5.4L Ford gets 14-19 so I'm used to it. My wifes 4.6L Mustang GT gets 20-24. And thats a SMALL car with a standard tranny.

But I must say, if youre consistantly getting 11-12mpg, either somethings wrong or something aint right! LOL I might be a little concerned.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
daytomann - Your post contradicts itself. "If you're worried about mpg buy another vehicle"... Four sentences later... "you may have a problem". Which is it? Am a a cry baby or do I have a problem?

No one thinks the thing is going to get 26mpg. They're upset because it doesn't come close to touching the claim made on the sticker (14 - 18). You're confusing being upset with mpg with being upset about being lied to. Good weekend!

D

daytomann

askewed said:
daytomann - Your post contradicts itself. "If you're worried about mpg buy another vehicle"... Four sentences later... "you may have a problem". Which is it? Am a a cry baby or do I have a problem?

What did you just say?

L

lacarruk1

Original Thread owner with MAJOR update

1st Visit - They told me they could not find a problem why I was getting 12mpg on average.

2nd Visit - They changed out my Oxygen sensor and I was seeing between 11 and 12mpg.

3rd visit - They kept my truck for 15+ days and changed out my rear differential. They said it was locked all the time and in use (hence bad mileage). Well - guess what - Now seeing 10.3mpg on average. This is very bad..... I am going to give it another tank of gas to confirm.

Anyone have any suggestions on requesting a new truck? Do you go through dealer or do you go through Lemon Law?

Appreciate anyone's advice who is on their 2nd LR3....

M

mauleskyrocket

If the truck is used in heavy city traffic ----10 mpg is about right. If you are on a highway at 70 mph 17-18 is about right. I would not despair on the city figures. No car or truck can do much better in crawling traffic. I have a Ford Diesel that will get 9 in the city and 20 on the highway. Now if you are getting 14---not as an average---but while cruising on the highway then something is wrong.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lacarruk1, did you have them try the "transportation mode" fix? As in... http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1832 (what I posted earlier).

Anyway, you need to post a little more information... saying "12 MPG average" is meaningless to us unless you tell us how it was driven.

What are you seeing as "highway only" (not stop 'n' go and uphill) MPG? If you are seeing around 18 without load, you probably don't have a problem.

If I'm stuck in city traffic for most of a tank, my MPG obviously dives into your territory.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lacarruk1

grommet said:
lacarruk1, did you have them try the "transportation mode" fix? As in... http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1832 (what I posted earlier).

Anyway, you need to post a little more information... saying "12 MPG average" is meaningless to us unless you tell us how it was driven.

What are you seeing as "highway only" (not stop 'n' go and uphill) MPG? If you are seeing around 18 without load, you probably don't have a problem.

If I'm stuck in city traffic for most of a tank, my MPG obvious dives into your territory.

Most of my driving is hwy. I'd say 20% city, 80% hwy. I have been telling my dealership about the West Chester Landrover Transportation mode fix since visit #1 and they still have not tried it. Like I said, they thought it was the Oxygen sensor and then the rear diff.

The crazy thing is, Each time they fix one of these items, I get worse and worse mileage.

I have read on these forums that people are getting at least 15 mpg on city and 18 - 20 on hwy. Is this true?

I had to fill up everytime I hit 242 miles on my trip computer.

Now that I am getting less mpg, we will see what mileage I get overall. I am thinking of giving it one more tank of gas to see what mileage I get on 2nd tank before going back to dealer....

Super frustrating!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo