Maxing Out Off-Road Ability on 19" Wheels (yep, tires again)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would stay away from them next time. I was on continental terrain contacts and would go back to those if I stayed with the 19”. Seriously considering going to an 18” setup though...

I have no idea what I'm going to do.

I am still on the Cooper Zeon tires that I bought 3 years and 37k miles ago. They are still going good, using a 5-wheel rotation. I should be able to at least get another year out of them.

I've thought about going to 18" wheels, but I'm also considering selling my LR4 and going with something else. Knowing me, the week I spend $2.5k on new wheels and tires is the same week I find a new car that I want.

There are also some compelling new 19" tires out there, although for some reason nobody has ever made one with a true, off-road sidewall.

Last edited:

rolledover

Reaction score
I did the atturos and liked the aggressive look and have done some pretty hefty rock trails. They performed well and no issues with sidewall. I made the mistake of pulling the trigger on some that were just over $400 on eBay, brand new. Priority tire sold them and they are from 2015...I didn’t read the fine print. Penny wise and pound foolish. I’ve had three of the four tires fail (two of them separated and one blew a belt). I’ve now replaced the 2015 atturos with 2019 and only time will tell. They are load rated, but wondering with tire age and the weight of the truck, it was just too much for these tires.

I would stay away from them next time. I was on continental terrain contacts and would go back to those if I stayed with the 19”. Seriously considering going to an 18” setup though...

I almost just bought 5 from Priority tire for $75 each but was concerned with them being from 2015. Seeing your LR4 with them from your solar panel thread I was really tempted. After reading this I'm glad that I didn't. Sorry to hear you've had so many fail and thank you for the reassurance that passing was the right idea.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost just bought 5 from Priority tire for $75 each but was concerned with them being from 2015. Seeing your LR4 with them from your solar panel thread I was really tempted. After reading this I'm glad that I didn't. Sorry to hear you've had so many fail and thank you for the reassurance that passing was the right idea.

yeah, good move. They look fantastic and I was super excited when I got them. Now I’ve got 3 newer ones on and just waiting for the last to fail... I will say, they do ride well. At slow speeds, as you’d expect, they are quite noisy, but highway speed is actually not bad. The terrain contacts were an awesome tire, but I was going for meaty... If these newer atturos hold up, they’ll be my tire of choice (without a change in rims). I just don’t trust them right now. I’ll report back if the newer ones fail.

I will say, atturo corporate has been amazing. They are standing behind these tires from date of install not date of manufacture. No other tire manufacturer would likely do that...while I’m having to eat some of the cost for new shoes, I’m getting a credit of about what I paid and paying the difference for a newer tire.

rolledover

Reaction score
yeah, good move. They look fantastic and I was super excited when I got them. Now I’ve got 3 newer ones on and just waiting for the last to fail... I will say, they do ride well. At slow speeds, as you’d expect, they are quite noisy, but highway speed is actually not bad. The terrain contacts were an awesome tire, but I was going for meaty... If these newer atturos hold up, they’ll be my tire of choice (without a change in rims). I just don’t trust them right now. I’ll report back if the newer ones fail.

I will say, atturo corporate has been amazing. They are standing behind these tires from date of install not date of manufacture. No other tire manufacturer would likely do that...while I’m having to eat some of the cost for new shoes, I’m getting a credit of about what I paid and paying the difference for a newer tire.

Yes, please do. They're top of my list if I stick with 19's, as I'm not sure I want to deal with the 255/65 duratracs. Good to hear they're standing behind their products, hopefully you have zero issues with the new ones.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont think so.

255/60-19 AT3s
255/65-19 Goodyear Adventures

Lots of choices if you keep the stock size.. but, why?

The AT3s are tough tires, I'm happy with them.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the top choice for a 19" all terrain are the 255/60 Toyo AT3s. A little bigger than stock with a decent sidewall.

Reaction score
^^^ Thank you both. Also looking at the Falkens in the stock size, mostly because they have the 3-peak rating and these will get winter use as well.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ Thank you both. Also looking at the Falkens in the stock size, mostly because they have the 3-peak rating and these will get winter use as well.

If you dont have a full size spare and aren't going to get one, stick with the stock size. I'm super impressed with the Toyos in the snow.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Went with the Falkens. Heading out for a 3K mile trip next week through the desert SW...will report back!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut