Missing Hood Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I had to lift the hood of my wife's new Jeep Wrangler a couple nights ago and there was no hood light. Ordering the vehicle was was an option laden pain, so I figured maybe I just forgot to check something off.

Last night I lifted the hood on my 07 LR3 HSE and, low and behold, no hood light. I checked today and could not find a light. What gives? Did I miss all the news stories about car fires caused by shorted out hood lights? Has the global warming crisis got us that concerned about vehicle weight? Were baby turtles being led away from the sea by nocturnal motorists checking their oil? Maybe the small flashlight manufacturers lobby has the Department of Transportation in its pocket?

In the words of Pete Seger, where have all the hood lights gone?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your truck is intended to be serviced and pampered in a well illuminated garage with a big green oval on the door

Hudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is going to be much to do in the dark anyway. If your batt is dead it wouldn't light anyhow.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hood lights are great. There have been many late night situations where its been a big help on previous cars. Too bad we don't have one.

Reaction score
Which brings me back to my original point - does anyone know why what was seemingly standard equipment even the least expensive of cars is now no longer available on high-end, 06/07 SUVs?

ddeeble

Reaction score
That's a good question! The only thing I can think of is that manufacturers nowadays seem to be making engines as inaccessible as possible (hence the shrouding every hose or wire, battery, block, etc...) and this seems to be another step in that direction. "If they can't see it, they can't touch it!" appears to be the mantra today. *sigh*

I can't believe it would be a cost-cutting move. In a truck that has TWO ashtrays up front, they'd cut out the engine bay light to save what? 25 cents per vehicle?

I wonder the same thing about one-touch power windows. Why down, but not UP? How much more expensive is that switch to manufacture? Locking gas caps (or filler doors) is another one!

I'm with you elcarrodeloomis, I want my hood light back!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ngomac