Need real help before i go crazy (ABS/TC/HD), SES, and Back Seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

Scents

All,
I hope some mechanics read this (2000 disco II).
1. Not long after having my brakes done, my ABS/TC/HD lights started coming on at start up and stay on.
2. SES light comes on and stays on.
3. Back seat will not fold up and stay locked. It is stuck in the half folded position.
4. Occasional dip in RPM at idle. Sitting at a light and it drops down then goes back up.

Notes on 1&2: Ran OBD scanner and came back with a p440 and p1590. VSS and EVAP i think.
Just had the brake fluid flushed today. It looked dirty, but is now clean.
Thanks in advance!!!
Tom
[email protected]

95d1

get an OBD 11 scanner and check the codes. I'd guess a vss but the codes will tell you more and you need the scanner to reset them.

S

Scents

VSS, no other symptoms

with the VSS, if it were bad, wouldn't i see secondary symptoms?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Clean the MAF Sensor with some non-residue contact cleaner... The three lights is either an ABS sensor, ABS modulator, or dirty brake fluid.

Back seat, without seeing the latch or the seat I couldn't tell ya.

S

Scents

Latest on my ABS/TC/HD

Well I broke down and took my Disco into the dealer. They would not diagnose both the SES light and the ABS/TC/HD. They wanted to charge me 105.00 twice (An hour of labor) Mind you the actual diagnostic only took 30 min, 20 of which I'm sure was pulling it into the bay. Anyway enough griping. The issue was traced to a bad SLABS ECU. Does anyone know where this part is and where/how to replace it? The dealer wanted 608...

C

camper

Sounds like the same thing I received from the dealer. A $100 car wash but they said it was a valve inside the control unit. Solutions in order of cost were to power bleed the brakes?, replace the valves in the unit or the one they said would work and cost $2500 was replace the unit.

Becuase these units (wabco) are in most heavy duty trucks like freight liners I doubt it is the unit and most truckers would get ride of them if they could not go 500K miles. Thes units are obviously not implemented well in rover.

Slabs ecu is located behind the glove box. If they mentioned anything about this other unit let me know. I would especially like to know if this could be a bad wire connection from the unit if anyone knows.

Good luck

S

Scents

Results so far

Back seat-
Took it about 50% apart and could not find an issue. In the process the middle seatbelt got stuck fully retracted. I spent about an hour disassembling and reassembling the actual belt retractor, but hey, I know how it works now. Its very position sensitive. If the seat is not in the proper upright position, that latch will not undo.

ECU-
Took the golve box off and saw quite a few "boxes" in there. If I'm correct, the SLABS ECU is a box that sits on in the inner wall of the fendor. It says BOSCH and measures about 4 x 7 x 1/2". I'm going to research tonight and see if I'm on it. The dealer quotes 1.5 hrs to replace (Took me about 5 min to locate and would take me another 30 min to swap out).

S

Scents

Testbook code

FYI,
The dealer test book code for my 3 amigos issue was :

clieman

Reaction score
I have an 01 Disco II, with the same dumb problem (3 amigos, thats funny..). Does anyone know if its possible to read the codes without a computer, by jumping wires or somthing. Someone on the forum sent me instructions for doing it with a plug under the front seat, but I dont see anything under either front seat. Im thinkin this procedure is no longer possilbe on the newer models (OBDII).
Plus, why do the brakes made a shuddering sound when im braking at full/near-full turn?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72