Nervous but now ready

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

La__

Reaction score
Always wanted a disco 3 when they came out been put off over reliability worries etc. But now im gonna just crack on with it..
Would probably prefer to get a disco 4 now Just want it to cart the family around and maybe stray off road now and again.
Whats the best engine to get and how much should i budget per year for services and repairs

Thanks

kameag

Reaction score
I am on my second 3, both have had the V6 and both very reliable. A little underpowered for highway passing etc but plenty for everyday use.

RyanRR

Reaction score
I was in a similar boat not even a month ago, shopping for an LR3 or LR4. I'd previously had a 2007 Range Rover Sport so I was familiar with the LR3 era vehicles.

As for reliability, finding a properly maintained vehicle will be your best bet. Things like transmission, differentials, and transfer fluid are often neglected and if not done can end up costing you a lot of money if they fail. Check the passenger side floorboard and headliner for signs of water damage; chasing and fixing water leaks is a massive pain in the ****.

I personally wouldn't even consider a US spec gas powered V6 LR3 due to the lack of power, and I think they're rated for a whopping 1 mpg better than the V8 alternatives.

If you're looking for an LR4, I avoided the '11 and '12 model years because of the timing chain issues; if I had found one with that work done and documented I would buy one, otherwise plan on spending $4500-6500 to get it done before your engine blows up and costs you $10k. I bought a '13 LR4 simply because they had the updated timing components and I preferred the V8 over the '14+ supercharged V6 engines.

The day I bought mine I also bought the following items:

1. GAP IID tool. It will pay for itself within a year if you get any faults or codes that you want to read. Can also program keys if you don't get a 2nd with your vehicle.
2. Differential fluids and transfer case fluids - will change myself because they're not too hard.
3. Transmission fluid and easy-install pan from Atlantic British, will be paying a shop to do this one, it's a PITA even with the easy install pan.

Don't let your worries about unreliability keep you from trying one. I bought my Range Rover with no experience and no planning and it costed me thousands of dollars. Even with all of its faults I still loved it, and I'm glad to be back in a Rover!

Last edited:

kameag

Reaction score
Agreed if you need/want the extra power, but as I said above it's more than enough for everyday use. I certainly didn't buy it for the gas mileage :). After being familiar with my previous V6 LR3 and no major issues after 280k km, I was comfortable with another one.

It's essentially a Ford V6 so you can also find some interchangeable parts if needed, and no need to worry about that timing chain issue...unless you can find one that has been done. In that case, the extra passing power may be worth it for you.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum