Neutral Manual Override?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is there, although the plastic but tends to slip putting the car bakc ni to gear so you might have to wedge something into place to hold it there. Although, there is no parking break override/release. Not sure why LR did this even though all the other range rovers and prior discovery’s had one. Perhaps if your battery died they just didn’t want your car moving, at all?

Not moving the car is not an option when it has to be towed to the dealership. The vehicle had to be dragged onto the tow truck. That can't be good on the transmission.

One of my points is that I think it's required to have a neutral override on vehicles. There's nothing in the manual about it, nothing that LR service even knew about it. How are you going to tow your vehicle out of the woods if all 4 wheels are locked up?

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this something that happens commonly?

Just curious, have actually been thinking of upgrading from LR4 to D5. This would be a problem if I were out camping...

So, I'm coming from an LR4 to a D5. Mine was a 2012 that had a manual shifter instead of the turn knob. If you have the turn knob, you probably have the same issue.

This has only happened to me once, but I'm only at 10K miles. It's a software issue, but it seems that it's not uncommon on newer models. As an off-road vehicle (supposedly), the batter should be accessible (it's not) and the neutral override should be available. Neither are mentioned anywhere in the manual. I guess if you get stuck in the wild they'll send a helicopter to tow your truck out.

The most common fix of these electronic issues is a hard re-boot. At least make the batteries reasonably accessible without tools.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well apart from the recalls on the D5 we’ve put 33k on it without an issue.
Is this something that happens commonly?

Just curious, have actually been thinking of upgrading from LR4 to D5. This would be a problem if I were out camping...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi