New grinding sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadhead86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so this morning on my way to work I noticed a new sound that decided to pop up. I was traveling about 65-70mph down the HWY and was coming up to a red light. I let off the gas, and when I did I heard what sounded like someone sharpening a knife on a turn wheel. It sounded to be coming from the front... more on the passanger side I think, and it only occures when I let of the gas. Ive got a few ideas of what it could be, but I have to drive 62 miles back home, and dont want to really screw something up if its urgent. Just wondering where everyone thinks I should look first... or if I should even drive it home tonight.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be a brake sticking or worn out (my bet), U-joints if you haven't changed them.

Wheel bearing (although they normally don't make noise till it is too late)

Exhaust...

Deadhead86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, thats what I was thinking myself. I was leaning more towards the idea that it had something to do with the brakes. Ive been meaning to change them for about a month now.

Thanks for the input Joey. I just wanted a few opinions before I drove it all the way home after work.

Joeys input is usually pretty close to truth, but does anyone else have any insight?

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you describe sounds like no friction material left on one or more pads. I'd check it out before you drive home. Doesn't take long to also need a new rotor if it get's that low. I'd go out at lunch, jack up the wheel and at least turn it to see what you hear and if there is resistance to rotation. A bad bearing, if it's bad enough to cause grinding noise, will also often grab.
Bt grabbing, I mean the rollers in the bearing will shift position and cause drag, then move again and the wheel will turn more freely. A worn brake pad will usually maintain the same resistance to turning until something acts on it, like applying the brakes or reversing direction of rotation.

Last edited:

Deadhead86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced pads and rotors over the weekend. No more sound

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Woo hoo, glad to hear it.

Latest posts

Members online