New Recall Alert : Fuel System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
The fuel tank has an internal vapor hose. If the o-ring is damaged, raw fuel will get sucked into the charcoal cannister.

Many Thanks!

Not trying to be dense here, but I do not understand how an o-ring failure here would put raw fuel into the canister, I do think I see how it could put fuel on the outside of the tank.

And because Rover is Rover, then to replace this o-ring would require a totally new tank?
And to diagnose this particular failure a smoke test would seem to be the only route.

Land Rover Palm Beach tells me there is not a separate o-ring but cannot tell me whether it would be included with the tank itself or with the hose (call out 9289).

I DO have a 2013 and a 2015 sitting here in my garage the I can use as diagnostic tools.
Is this location such that I can get a boroscope (new toys !) up in there to see what it would look like on the 2016?
(Recall that the problem is on the 2016, away at university and half way across the country, and all work on that one needs to be at the dealership.)

My goal at this point would be to have all likely replacement parts actually in hand before the smoke test, but that appears to be impossible...

IMG_4386.jpg

Last edited:

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inside the fuel tank here's an internal evap vent hose the snaps into the bottom of the fuel cap. Then it exits the fuel cap and onto the charcoal cannister.

When the fuel tank is full, this internal hose can be submerged in fuel. A pinched o-ring allows raw fuel into the hose. With a vacuum on the evap hose, raw fuel will get pulled into the charcoal cannister.

Best way to verify this is, to remove the fuel cap and look for the pinched o-ring. Sometimes they swell up and can be tricky to install.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, still not understanding.

So the o-ring in question is not at the tank, it's at the fuel filler cap?
And when I look at the 2015, this is what I see from the top down, I don't see anything that looks or feels like an o-ring.
Do I need to remove the fender liner and look from underneath to find the location you are referring to?

And I have had this idea before, what if, this is much ado about nothing and it's really just that few drops of gas from the dispensing handle dripping down into that drain channel on the outboard side of the cap and then draining down that hose to the fender, where it disappears, I assume to be open to the atmosphere - seems unlikely that there could be enough fuel there to cause this much stink, but ??

IMG_4387.jpg

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part 9039 is the fuel cap. On the bottom, there's the evap vent hose that snaps onto the cap.
This evap vent hose is exposed to raw fuel. Therefore, if that bottom hose o-ring is leaking, raw fuel will enter the charcoal cannister.
Top left purple part is the vent hose ( arrow pointing to it) . As you can see, exposed to raw fuel.
Hope this helps.

1692045556619.png

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it, thanks!

Let's assume that this is indeed my problem, that o-ring is not going to be available from Rover as an individual o-ring.
In an attempt to have that o-ring on hand when doing the work, which would then save alot of time, do you know the specifications for that o-ring so that it could actually be pre-purchase

Last edited:

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have the o-ring specs. But, I do have one I can mail to you for free.

Best to see if there's actually fuel in the pipes going to the charcoal cannister.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some AC leak detectors can detect fuel vapors. Maybe another option,besides the smoke test.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Rover dealership up at University will be doing it, even though these guys are the best Rover dealership I have personally worked with, still can't think too far out of the box. :rolleyes:

Although they did agree to install just the o-ring rather than the entire vent tube, should that be the diagnosis...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72