New Recall Alert : Fuel System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thevinrod

Reaction score
Thx for the nudge. Bought an aftermarket in-tank fuel pump (VDO brand of part number LR043385) for $250 on Amazon and it was delivered to LR dealer in 4 business days. They replaced free of labor charge. Cleared engine codes and test drove 14 miles with no codes nor fuel leaks. Washed it and transported it back to me (88 miles away) and even fueled it up for me.

I’ve driven about 50 miles and no issues.

Lesson learned - if someone is dropping your fuel tank, spend $250 to have them swap out the in tank fuel pump and ensure it doesn’t have any leaks after the repair.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@thevinrod- Thanks for the update! I'll keep that fuel pump alternative in mind. My truck is still under 20K miles so fingers crossed the FP is still good. Going to schedule the repair and I'll report on how that goes.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I had the recall service a few months ago and have experienced a few things that I thought had not been related to each other.

1) Basically empty gas tank can only fit in 16-17 gallons....guessing it should be more?
2) Gas cap not on, replaced twice with LR cap and goes away but comes back then goes away then comes back
3) This has a thread of its own and probably is not related to the recall but seems like when I top off or later on in the day if I'm stopped in park and go to put the LR4 into gear it will act like it is going to stall and has even stalled and died on me. Most of the time its going into R and when it happens the R on the shifter will blink. Battery issue? Fuel pump maybe? Alternator?

So I thought I'd take it back into teh dealership and tell them that I believe when the recall was performed, the filler neck was not put back correctly and that also the fuel pump in the tank might not have been put back correctly or shifted or something.

So I have not recieved a call from the tech yet BUT they did text me this video showing a smoke test with evap leak coming from the filler neck....PLUS a, what he said "bad oil leak" that I have never had an issue with...no oil on the ground, never having to put oil into the engine before I change the oil every 6-7 thousand miles. So I'm kinda confused about this one.

Here is a link to the techs video.

Please all you experts take a look and let me know if you think that Filler neck leak looks like it has a higher probability of being caused when they did the recall.

Thanks

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I had the recall service a few months ago and have experienced a few things that I thought had not been related to each other.

1) Basically empty gas tank can only fit in 16-17 gallons....guessing it should be more?
2) Gas cap not on, replaced twice with LR cap and goes away but comes back then goes away then comes back
3) This has a thread of its own and probably is not related to the recall but seems like when I top off or later on in the day if I'm stopped in park and go to put the LR4 into gear it will act like it is going to stall and has even stalled and died on me. Most of the time its going into R and when it happens the R on the shifter will blink. Battery issue? Fuel pump maybe? Alternator?

So I thought I'd take it back into teh dealership and tell them that I believe when the recall was performed, the filler neck was not put back correctly and that also the fuel pump in the tank might not have been put back correctly or shifted or something.

So I have not recieved a call from the tech yet BUT they did text me this video showing a smoke test with evap leak coming from the filler neck....PLUS a, what he said "bad oil leak" that I have never had an issue with...no oil on the ground, never having to put oil into the engine before I change the oil every 6-7 thousand miles. So I'm kinda confused about this one.

Here is a link to the techs video.

Please all you experts take a look and let me know if you think that Filler neck leak looks like it has a higher probability of being caused when they did the recall.

Thanks

Replace the purge valve. I had the same issues. If the problems come back, you’ll need a new EVAP canister and another purge valve.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the purge valve. I had the same issues. If the problems come back, you’ll need a new EVAP canister and another purge valve.
Thanks for the response. While not trying to make myself look took much like a simpleton, which problem should the purge valve replacement fix? Also, do you have a write up or video by chance? I search a little and couldn't find anything.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, Where did you buy the purge valve? Guessing its the "vapor canister purge valve" I see some come with lines and some don't? Did you buy Land Rover or aftermarket? Thanks again

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, Where did you buy the purge valve? Guessing its the "vapor canister purge valve" I see some come with lines and some don't? Did you buy Land Rover or aftermarket? Thanks again
Thanks for the response. While not trying to make myself look took much like a simpleton, which problem should the purge valve replacement fix? Also, do you have a write up or video by chance? I search a little and couldn't find anything.
The leaking fuel flange overworks the purge valve, and it fails. You’re stalling because the valve is stuck open, allowing extra fuel vapor into the combustion chamber causing a rich condition and the truck is stalling out. I fought this one for a LONG time. The gas cap light comes on bc the system sees a minuscule air leak, and assumes that’s the problem. If you keep driving you’ll end up with a P0442 eventually. The smoke is coming out of the filler neck area, and that’s correct. That’s where the vent is. I have a thread on this whole thing if you click my profile.

Yea, vapor canister purge valve. It’s a real easy swap, it’s under the hood on top of the driver’s side valve cover. Get a genuine LR one directly from a dealer or dealer parts site. Part number is LR172646.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. So I have not talked with the service rep yet but I'm wondering if they play the "the recall could not have caused the filler neck problem". Also you say that a leaking fuel flange(I believe this is the exact recall item?) caused the purge valve to overwork and it fails. Wonder if that new purge valve should also be covered under the recall fix?

So in the video I posted the smoke is coming out of the filler neck area and you think that is happening because of a bad purge valve? Is there any long term damage I need to worry about now after I replace the purge valve? She has about 105k miles on her and I've been wondering if its time to trade her in. The oil leak the tech pointed out in the video also worries me errrr. I'd love to keep the LR4 as long as possible but don't want to throw money away if there is no hope.

I have not seen the P0442 code yet BUT my LR4 does have a P0456 code atm.

Again thank you for taking the time and posting this. I'll check out your thread.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH I just check LR172646 and it seems thats for the V8 LR4's not the 14-16 V6 like I have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA