New Recall Alert : Fuel System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that since I bought the truck, but that got fixed when the recall was done. The purge valve can definitely affect that, since the EVAP system will push fumes out of the fuel filler if it’s not working correctly and shut the fuel pump off early.

Did your gas gauge read 100% full after filling up? Mine seems to have the full range on the cluster, but likewise I can only put in 16-17 gal when the low fuel light turns on.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your gas gauge read 100% full after filling up? Mine seems to have the full range on the cluster, but likewise I can only put in 16-17 gal when the low fuel light turns on.
It does now. I’ve gotten 19 gallons in recently and I’ve seen the range go up to 360 miles.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does now. I’ve gotten 19 gallons in recently and I’ve seen the range go up to 360 miles.

Sorry, I should have asked a better question. Prior to the recall, did your gas gauge use the full range, with the little > sign going up all the way to F? I have never noticed any fuel smell, but if this gets me more range, I might get it done regardless.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have asked a better question. Prior to the recall, did your gas gauge use the full range, with the little > sign going up all the way to F? I have never noticed any fuel smell, but if this gets me more range, I might get it done regardless.
I’m not sure, tbh. Maybe not.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I think of it, I think I'm hitting that lower full gas threshold too. Just filled up from close to having the empty warning light come on and it was right around 17 gallons (or just under). Used to get close to 19 pre-recall work.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to drive a good bit with the fuel light on to get 19 gallons in. I think mine takes between 17 and 18 gallons when the fuel light comes on. Most I've ever managed to put in was 19.697, when I deliberately drove a bunch with the fuel light on.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update....

The service advisor did call back and said he has been doing research himself and did in fact find examples of the recall not being done correctly and could stretch the filler neck that would cause the problem that I'm having. He has been very very helpful and I truly do feel he is trying to get this taken care of BUT time will tell if they actually decide to take care of this or not.

Also, I also was able to get 19+ gallons into the tank before the recall but am down to only 16.5 or so when basically zero miles left(I tested multiple times). The meter will still show gas at full but mileage down to like 240 or so when it was 300+ before the recall.

Not sure if the Filler neck is causing this or what.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update:

So after a couple of weeks the Land Rover dealership agreed to replace the filler neck for free. I was excited but of course the filler neck was backordered so I had to wait. Well I picked up the LR4 late last week and within a day the gas cap light went on followed by a check engine light. I checked the code and it stated small evap leak AGAIN!. Also could still only put in about 16 gallons of fuel when basically on empty.

So I took it back into the dealership this morning and just received a tech video that they did another smoke test and the DMTL pump is leaking and needs replaced!

My question is shouldn't this have been caught with the first smoke test? Could dropping the fuel tank and replacing the filler neck caused this?

Here is the Tech video: https://api.mykaarma.com/video-walk...4083209e78630a886731&fileType=image_and_video

Also: It looks like in the video that the DMTL pump is just disconnected? Couldn't it just be reconnected?

Thanks

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
My experience is that the local dealership in Houston, TX may or may not have incorrectly performed the recall.
In working with them, I determined that they are a bunch of yahoos.

When I took it to another dealership, at University - before leaving it with my daughter - in upstate NY, they let me snoop around as much as I wanted and we could not find anything. This dealership I would recommend.

But in reply to the question above, the dealership in upstate NY told me that dropping the tank and messing with things can be problematic. They say it can cause things to die that were on the edge anyhow, it can cause fittings to loosen or, if the previous work was maybe incorrect also to tighten.

in particular they said that the recall caused fuel pumps that were maybe on the edge to die just because they were handled.

Not helpful I know, just passing along what I have been told.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
So, my 2016 that I discuss in several locations above - that may or may not have an active fuel leak - caused by a recall that may or may not have been performed incorrectly - will be returning home in mid May and I will have several weeks to work on it.

I was thinking of getting a boroscope to be able to take a look at the top of the fuel tank, and anywhere else, to help in diagnosis.
Any suggestions on whether that approach will be useful.
Any recommendations on a boroscope - I have an iphone so one of those camera and cable only scopes is ok.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut