New Recall Alert : Fuel System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said the magic word! What's happening (in case of failure), since the system is of course under pressure, gasoline can be atomizing in a very bad location under the passenger compartment. Your's may be fine, but why take that chance?. The part also contains a fuel filter, so that will be new...and since the tank will be dropped maybe check the in-tank fuel pump as well?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having a very infrequent fueling problem that has since been fixed since I had the recall done.

Every so often I wasn’t able to properly fuel my vehicle (pump would shut off after adding 3 gallons or so to a nearly empty tank)

This hasn’t happened since the recall. No idea if it’s related or not, but I haven’t had a single issue.

I’d recommend to do it. Then if you ever sell the vehicle you don’t have to worry about it lighting up and killing a family or burning their house down.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having a very infrequent fueling problem that has since been fixed since I had the recall done.

Every so often I wasn’t able to properly fuel my vehicle (pump would shut off after adding 3 gallons or so to a nearly empty tank)

This hasn’t happened since the recall. No idea if it’s related or not, but I haven’t had a single issue.

I’d recommend to do it. Then if you ever sell the vehicle you don’t have to worry about it lighting up and killing a family or burning their house down.

Yup, I went through a period where I couldn’t put any gas in.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
My year long sag continues.

Smells began AFTER I had a local dealer do the recall, Aug 2022.
Smells ONLY when tank is completely full at the pump, goes away after even just a few miles and tank goes down just that little bit.
I took it back, they could not find anything. But I can find moist tank bottom at the shroud round drain hole (2016).

Truck relocates across country with my D at school.

Took it to a dealer I trust and that does good work, they dropped the tank, put on tracing powder, I topped it up and we found nothing (I inspected myself in person on the rack), moist spot is gone and not repeatable, but the smell issue continued. Had to leave it (across the country) with the D at school (Yes, I know...)
D never totally fills tank - no issues.

Because of schedules.etc.
Fast forward a year, late Aug 2023.
I put in a container of UV dye, topped it off, still smells - took it to that second dealer.
They said they found some dye along one of the filler neck connections, so they took it apart cleaned it up and double clamped it back together.
(As of Aug 2023 there appear to be no filler necks available in North America, Aug 2023 price $500 is ever available...)

Still smells, and it's actually worse, now there are odors in the cabin, at nose height at middle of the rear hatch and of course at passenger rear wheel. But same mechanism - totally fine after just a few miles.

Had to leave with D for another year at School.

No plausible explanations, no error codes or check engine lights.

Second dealer thinks the first dealer might have caused micro cracks in the plastic at the tank fittings when they did the recall work or maybe it's the rollover valve in the filler neck or maybe it's micro pinholes in the filler neck.

I do not like this situation, but other than throwing money at it ... ???
Opinions on whether I should actually just give them a blank check and next step replace the tank and/or try to find a filler neck somewhere in the rest of the world?

Highly constrained because it's not home in the garage and I need to depend on others...

Thanks!

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They need to look at the charcoal cannister.
The fuel tank has an internal vapor hose. If the o-ring is damaged, raw fuel will get sucked into the charcoal cannister.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Thanks.

Due to my D schedule, it's almost impossible to get the truck free for anyone to touch it - probably needs to wait until Christmas break.
I will update...

That internal vapor hose o-ring seems to explain the behavior.

Not to defend the dealership, but they have suggested smoke testing, I will have that done at the next opportunity.

Trick is that I need to be there. Asking the D to top if off and then smell for gasoline is not the best diagnostic tool....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72