New to forum 2014 RR Sport HSE 90,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello,

New here, Last 48 hours 2014 RR sport HSE is sputtering erratically around 3,000rpms for (was 10) now 25-30 seconds upon cold start. Warm no issues. Your insight is much appreciated. Not mechanically inclined.

vacuum leak?
Clean fuel injectors?
Sensors?

Kyle

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be any of the above.

What engine?
How many miles?
Last major tune up?
How old is the battery?
How long has the issue been going on?

Reaction score
Could be any of the above.

What engine?
How many miles?
Last major tune up?
How old is the battery?
How long has the issue been going on?

What engine? 3.0L V6
How many miles? 89,000
Last major tune up? Just oil changes
How old is the battery? The original 2014 I believe
How long has the issue been going on? 48 hours

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would start with battery, they are good for 5-6 years yours has lasted much longer if original and will cause all kinds of issues. At least have it tested.

I would also give it a tune up. plugs, air filter, even injector cleaner. Could just be bad gas.

Reaction score
I would start with battery, they are good for 5-6 years yours has lasted much longer if original and will cause all kinds of issues. At least have it tested.

I would also give it a tune up. plugs, air filter, even injector cleaner. Could just be bad gas.

Reaction score
Thank you Joey

I went to a foreign mechanic who cleared 20 codes and the check engine light went off. He told me to come back when it came back on to see which codes were thrown.

This morning I opened the hood before cold start and pressed on some random black hoses that were loose and moved down toward the engine block (or whatever it is ‍♂️) and the vehicle started perfectly like it used to prior to 3 days ago when it would rev at 2800 rpms for about 30 seconds before idling down upon cold start.

however, the check engine light came on and since everyone is closed I went to autozone to see which closes came up.

Shows:

Cylinders 1-6, excluding 2
System too lean at idle bank 1 and 2

Does any of this sound familiar?

I’m going to get a new battery like you recommended as well. Thank you.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Start by changing the air filter and cleaning the MAF sensor. If you don't know how, youtube is your friend.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you’ve found the problem, but if its not the MAFs, then it’s likely a vacuum leak. PCV diaphragms are known to wear out on this engine - little black circular cover on the passenger side valve cover towards the back. Little tricky with the supercharger in the way, but it can be done without removing the supercharger. Just be sure to have the new cover and lid before taking off the old one because the tabs on the old one will break. And be gentle - don’t want to break the valve cover itself ($$$$).

You also mentioned loose tubing on top of the engine. There are two tubes that can cause this problem. The PCV breather tube (somewhat large black tube that leads from the PCV valve to the throttle body, front and center on the engine), and the full load breather tube (similar large black tube that leads from the rear of the drivers side valve cover to a connection just under the drivers side air intake).

If it’s neither of those, then check all your air intake connections between the MAF and the throttle body.

Reaction score
jlgrl4, Thank you.

I replaced the PCV Valve cap. Now it revs at 1,100rpm for 45 seconds then 900rpm. Used to be 2,800rpm for 45 seconds then 900rpm.

I think I will try to clean MAF and replace air filters next. Also tighten brackets around air filters.

Let me know if this sounds familiar. Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM