Steal of a deal on an LR4 with issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dent pulling:
8B3CA5F5-70B7-4F22-AD67-02DF3AC0A0F5.jpeg

Ready for the paint booth:
AAC674DB-53D7-41E5-AC0D-4222B4C579B1.jpeg

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple more updates:
The truck is back from the body shop, the final result looks great!
21841FE9-133F-41D1-9439-CD0AB6F6DAF6.jpeg

Spent some time cleaning up both headlights, these are the basic halogen version, I'd like to eventually upgrade them to the Xenon's of the same year, the face lifted ones look awesome but it doesn't make sense to spend that much money on replacing the lights, grill and bumper when these are in fantastic shape.

Before:
746A3ACE-0893-45C6-A10E-7C8FAE4948C5.jpeg

After:
80A4FECF-D62F-4ED5-B612-97E835ACB4DC.jpeg

Also, installed the OEM spare tire winch and roof rack that I picked off an LR3 and RR Sport from the junkyard.

Was able to tighten down the corner nut on the valve cover to basically take care of the oil leak, that's a relief.

Just waiting to get the transfer case and transmission fluids in from RMEuropean to flush those. Interestingly, The LR tech I spoke to earlier this week said any good quality full synthetic 75w90 GL5 gear oil is approved for use in the differentials, I already have a couple quarts of Royal purple that I'll try in there.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grass is green in Denver? yes Royal Purple is what i use in the diffs.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just waiting to get the transfer case and transmission fluids in from RMEuropean to flush those. Interestingly, The LR tech I spoke to earlier this week said any good quality full synthetic 75w90 GL5 gear oil is approved for use in the differentials, I already have a couple quarts of Royal purple that I'll try in there.

If you have the rear locker, make sure to use the Synchromax fluid and not just regular fluid.

The Synchromax is what the center differential needs, too.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ah man - the cats out of the bag! Most people that haven't been here think Denver is snowy and cold but we get 300+ sunny days a year and for the most part, the snow stays where it should... in the mountains. The grass has been getting nice and green over the last week.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the rear locker, make sure to use the Synchromax fluid and not just regular fluid.

The Synchromax is what the center differential needs, too.
I have an open diff on the back, my understanding is that its the same gear oil as the front in this case.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few updates: Replaced all of the drive train fluids: Front and rear diffs, transfer case and the transmission fluid including replacing the pan with a replaceable filter (the BritPart kit from Atlantic British) - thanks for the link to that transmission post! My only gripe with the Brit parts kit is the smaller screws with washers, I would've preferred to use the OEM style/sized screws without washers as they were much easier to manipulate in the tight spaces with my big hands. As most people have posted, there was a bunch of gunk stuck on the transmission pan magnets, same story with the diffs, truck seems to be shifting smoother now though.

Also replaced the air filters + cabin filter and serpentine belt as I noticed some subtle cracking.

So far so good on the rebuild, I've already put close to 1000 miles on her. Put the truck through its paces this weekend, took her up to the mountains up through the Loveland Pass which is almost 12k feet elevation - handles like a dream in the snow and ice, felt super confident on the road despite the conditions.

Last edited:

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all - thought I'd give everyone an update on the steal of a deal LR4. Truck is now nearing 6k miles since rebuild and it feels rock solid!

Honestly, this thing has been super fun. Couple of small issues to have to deal with such as a dead coil here and there, I keep spare ones on hand now just in case - swapped one out downtown Denver a few months back! I still have a minor oil leak (occasional spotting on the driveway), this will be addressed with the first oil change since rebuild in the next week or two (new valve cover gaskets and solenoid seals). Ive also gotten a MAF engine error code that has flashed on a a couple of times so it would probably be a good thing to replace as well and in the heat of the summer I was having an issue with the cooling fan clutch not disengaging occasionally - probably also needs to be replaced. It's also been to the LR dealership for the fuel flange recall that everyone's been talking a ton about.

I love this truck so much that I just made a deal on a 2015 LR4 (with issues), I'll start a new thread on this one obviously called "Steal of a Deal Part Deux"... stay tuned! Im so pumped!!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great update. Interested in your thoughts on the SC15 vs your V8. Being at altitude will work in the V6s favour.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA