New to me 96 5 Speed where do I start??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

montanablur

I just bought a 96 Disco 5 speed... I have wanted one for a while and never realized how quickly I would become that "car guy"... this being my first project car...

Here is a list of problems I have found so far... If anyone could give me some hints on what is most important first that would be great...

1. The shifting is a little touchy... sometimes it glides into gear... other times it almost grinds into gear... clutch or tranny?

2.Power steering pump leak... Common I know... Is there a fix?

3. Steering floaty and loose at best...

4. Air conditioning after a while will blow out what seems to be steam, but it still cold... I turn the Ac off for a while and its good to go for another 45 minutes...

Any help would be great...

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sinuhe - steering on Disco isnt exactly crisp most of times :) You will have to check steering dampener (and bushings), tie-rod ends to start with. Then suspension bushings & shocks. Preload on swivel balls (which is most likely what is it) - when wheel is off-ground and tie-rod disconnected you shall get about 6-7kg (not lb) resistance to make it turn sideways (with actual wheel removed from base too :) overwise its weight will fool ya). Can also be loosened front hubs - try to shake wheel (while it is off ground) holding it at 6 & 12 hours. If there is any play - bearings may be in need of replacement or at least repacking.

A/C - you may need recharge freon thingy.

PS pump - there is temporary fix with adding special liquids, overwise (if it is indeed pump) you just on the market for used-rebuild-new one.. :)

D

discomike

On the A/c problem, if it is cold and them blows mist from the vents, your drain lines are plugged up, no big deal, just need to clean them out.
For a possible inexpensive fix for the steering leak, change the fluid and add a bottle of Lucas p/s additive, this works pretty well.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, where are the drain lines located? My A/C does the same thing occasionally also. I guess this would account for the recent flooding on the passenger floor...

S

super_poser

The drain plugs are under the truck on each side of the transmission. The are black and hard to see, so take a light with you and do it when the truck is cool. You can just grab them and pull and twist them out. Sometimes funky water will come out so wear something you don't mind getting dirty. Charles

D

discomike

As Charles said you will finf them, more to the front and on either side of the tranny, they will usually drip down on the exhaust pipe or front drive shaft. You can blow them out, or use a rigid piece of wire to poke at them.
Good luck,
Mike J.

M

montanablur

Thanks for all the great beta... Hopefully someday I will be able to return the favor.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99