Newbie to the LR4 - GAP tool a must?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
1000% yes it's necessary to have it.

I'll give you 1 out of the many uses it can help. I was out in Anza Borrego, CA wheeling with some buddies for 4 days. Fantastic trip going through different terrain, rock gardens, slight rock crawling, elevation changes, soft sand dunes, mud, etc... I even dropped in on a 6' soft cliff of a wash to "find" the trail. Anyhow, all that eventually got one of my sensors out of calibration range. I had to drive 2.5 miles out of the wash to hit pavement on bump stops. Dealer charged around $380 to recalibrate it, 2 days later it needed to be recalibrated. I bought the IID Tool and did it myself. That's close to $1k lesson.

On the trail you can diagnose, lift, lower, and fix the suspension. It does a lot more too. Get one from Lucky8 and tell them you're part of the FB group for the $480 price. You should probably join the group too, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1621225684825324/?ref=share.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than anything, I just like being able to check on things without going to a mechanic. If you are a DIY type, its a no brainer.
This. ^^^

If you are either DIY'er, or plan to go offroad, it would be HIGHLY recommended.

If the truck never leaves the city and you hand the dealership blank checks, meh, you can probably live without it.

I can't afford to pay the dealer, I don't trust most indy shops, and I'm full DIY... so the GAP tool was one of my first purchases after buying a 2010 with 110k in early 2017. It's paid for itself already. YMMV, etc.

:cool:

BigOinker

Reaction score
Aside from price, can someone tell me the differences between the GAP IIDTOOL and Atlantic British's iLand 2.0 tool? Are they basically the same thing? Is there one that has more options? Which do you prefer?

L Crist

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes! Mine paid for itself programming one new extra key fob. (Dealer wanted 750 for a new key!) I've also used it to add the facelift HID headlamps w/ DRL's.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@BigOinker - I don’t have the details, but I’ve read on various forums that you can do more with the GAP Tool than the iLand. I don’t know if that still true or not. The one thing I don’t like about the iLand is that it appears to require a subscription after year three. No subscription required on the GAP tool, but it is VIN-locked for most functions.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a new LR4 owner as well, and am loving it so far. Working out a few bugs as with any used vehicle. I already had a Foxwell scan tool, and downloaded the Land Rover software for it. First thing I did was buy a Key Fob off eBay and programmed it. The scan tool got the job done, and looking thru the menu seems like it can do quite a bit.

What is this talk of changing the normal ride height to be higher? Is this a thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is this talk of changing the normal ride height to be higher? Is this a thing?
It is, and you will find a ton of discussion about it throughout these forums. It's easily done with the GAP tool and I would Imagine that your "Land Rover software" can do the same. Commonly referred to as 'electronic lift' (as opposed to installing lift rods or a kit) and there are a number of reasons given for doing it. Some to solve larger tire fitment issues (which isn't exactly valid) others purely aesthetics, or a combination of the two, and in many cases, I suspect weighing heavily on aesthetics. Obviously you can achieve a bit more ground clearance, if needed.
When using the GAP tool on a LR4 to adjust normal ht., off-road and access ht's. will change as well by the same amount and speed limitations remain. As I recall, you can have two or three differing custom or personal 'settings' for normal, and save factory as default. Give it a try?

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might check it out, my LR4 seems to sit just a little bit lower than I would like. Is it possible the previous owner set the ride normal height a little lower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi