Noob Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

penguinpowered

Alright, I did it, I bought one.

'97 Disco I, Willow Green, 100K (I know it's high - but I have full service records courtesy of the LR Dealer a 1/2 mile up the road.) It was a soccer mom taxi.

At any rate, it's flawless, but for a couple things...

1) Do all of you hear your tranny and diff humming at highway speeds?

2) I'm pretty sure I have an exhaust leak, as she's ticking. It quiets as she warms, which indicates to me it's expanding, and shrinking the leak, but I could be wrong. What is the most common point of failure here? It seems to be loudest near the front. Tried tightening the manifold bolts....don't move....however, the gaskets seem to be connected between two ports (two gaskets on each side)....and I can see the metal between them. Is this normal?

3) Took her on a LONG drive (3+ hours) yesterday. Got home, and could swear I smelled something burning. Temp normal, popped the hood, no smell, underneath, no smell. I wasn't rubber.....smelled like something more sinister. Smelled foul things from your 'Rover? What was it?

4) Tranny shifts kinda hard, espec. on downshifts. Clutch?

TIA!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Tranny hum, could be normal... can't hear mine over the radio and exhaust :)
- I would plan to change the diff oil and it never hurts to drain tranny (about 6 quarts when drained at the plug) and refill.

Ticking, could be not getting enough oil to the top of the engine at start up, or a cracked manifold.... I would be on the manifold first though.
- yes, the gaskets are supposed to be that way.

Smelling something burning.... could be just the top of the transmission getting hot and cooking any spilled oil or grease.

Tranny shifts hard.... welcome to the Land Rover world..... :)

V

vanhorn4philly

yeah man, i drive a 1997 willow green disco w/ 85000 miles, so we have almost the same car. but yeah i have the transmission problems it shifts kinda hard whenever i reach 50 miles per hour, either going into it or coming down from 50, kinda a hard jolt, but once again its a rover, gotta get use to that kinda stuff. enjoy it though man.
--By the way i installed jump seats in my disco, it took 6 hours...pretty bad

P

penguinpowered

Not to brag....but I found one with jump seats :)

Lucked out...

Discosid

Reaction score
Don’t over crank the manifold bolts. They should be set at 15 ft-lb only. This will allow for the expansion and contraction. If you over do them you can crack the manifold.
If you think they are leaking Ex’ Gas change them $10 each from Rovers North easy job as long as the bolts don’t brake off, Plenty of PB Buster the night before the job and some more in the morning. (Smokes nice when you restart the motor). I was lucky when I did mine, all the bolts were loose.
If you do this get shot of the stupid fold over nut locks and get some stainless split washers.
Also check the Gasket between the Exhaust to Manifold connection.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink