Off Road Do you Really go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

libby12

Reaction score
Ok New LR4 Guy here more the wife

So we got this new LR4 2012 got about $65k plus in to it:stupid:

And I see you guys with all the off road photos

I would be so upset to nick it or some else

How do you do it,

Attachments

• l2.jpg
    l2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 38
  • lux.jpg
    lux.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 42

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey libby12,

Very carefully! :) Seriously, I feel your concern and I just take it easy and be sure of my path forward. It also helps to go with people who are experienced at off roading and spotting. In addition, if you plan to do any moderate/advanced off roading, you definitely want to make some modifications to your LR4 for protection. Decent tires are also very important! There are ways to go off road (depending where you live) where you can be careful and not bang up your LR4, but definitely expect it to get dirty and possibly some trail scars. Since you have a very lovely black LR4, that will show all the dirt/scratches.

Damn, if I paid $65,000 for that Limited Edition I'd be leary of taking it off road as well. They sure did not make it stand up to off road challenges! :) To me, that's more of a street cruiser - all that chrome and stuff. Though, don't undersestimate it, you can certainly tackle many conditions!

-David

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after your first scratch, it all starts to look the same :)

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never hesitated about this...the reason I chose a land rover instead of another brand was primarily for it's off-road capability. A few scratches here and there don't do any harm. I personally think it doesn't make much sense to buy an LR4 and then put 22" wheels on it....if that is your bag, fine, thanks for supporting the brand. Other people will say it doesn't make sense to buy a 60K vehicle and then scratch it up. In the end...to me it is a tool with many jobs to do, looking new isn't one of the jobs I expect of it. Besides, I have small kids, so that pretty much guarantees it's going to show some wear in the back seats.

Once you get some scratches, you no longer have to worry about where you park it. I will say that the Nara Bronze I have color doesn't show minor scratches much anyway.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time I went, I was complaining the whole way about the branches scraping up against my truck to the point that I was avoiding them more than the ruts as I knew my truck could handle them better with all the underneath protection.

I agree with the fellas on here that the first scratch is the worst. Now after 2 years of ownership, I have a few parking lot scrapes from others and a tiny. Door ding so it's even less of an issue. That said, I don't have any dents so the scratches/striping from offroading give the LR4 character. It helps with the zeon tires and sumpt protector accessories that give the truck a more rugged look too.

I'm sure your LR dealer will send you an invite for their local offroad training event as most do. You should take advantage of this event as a way to get a taste of offroading to see if you get the bug.

I have black too and love your limited edition look. I'm biased but I feel like nothing beats a clean, shiny black vehicle.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better to scratch it offroad than in a parking lot. Not trying to be flippant, but any scratch you get offroad, you will look on favorably afterwards as opposed to some parking lot ding which will just continue to insult you.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never hesitated about this...the reason I chose a land rover instead of another brand was primarily for it's off-road capability. A few scratches here and there don't do any harm. I personally think it doesn't make much sense to buy an LR4 and then put 22" wheels on it....if that is your bag, fine, thanks for supporting the brand. Other people will say it doesn't make sense to buy a 60K vehicle and then scratch it up. In the end...to me it is a tool with many jobs to do, looking new isn't one of the jobs I expect of it.
Completely agree with this. I chose the LR4 because I planned on going off-roading. There are so many other SUVs out there that are just as nice, probably drives better on pavement, better gas mileage, better reliability, and many are cheaper too. I probably would have chosen something else if I didn't plan on off-roading.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely admit to getting out of the truck to trim branches and brush with my anvil clippers and machete. Never the less scratches and wheel gouges are inevitable.

When I turned my Black LR3 in at the end of the lease, I actually used the Langka wet sand kit combined with Griots polish and a ROP. The worst scratches were actually from the truck getting keyed in front of REI (SUV haters). I got everything out, and had no charge/damages per end of lease terms. As to the thickness of the paint.......

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clearcoat on the LR4 is very thick; most scartches will buff out. I had my LR4 for 8 days and then went to a Rover event sponsored by the dealership. I had scratches down both sides and I was upset with myself. The event leader told me they would buff out easily and to bring the truck back in and he would have the guys do it for me. I for sure thought that they would never come out. They did.

I took my LR4 HSE Lux to Moab and did some offroad with it. Its very capable within reason. It will climb, descend and get through a lot of narly places, but it is limited by weight and clearance. It will sink in the mud and sand if not aired down and rock-crawling is not great for it in stock form. But with the exception of very few true off-roaders, this vehicle will hold its own offroad.

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM