Official 2014 Changes to LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Business-wise, I can see why Land Rover is going in the direction they are going - just too few people actually take these vehicles off road. With that said, I would love to see them offer a special package (maybe G4 or something) that has all the off-road bells and whistles and is truly an off road monster. Not sure if they could do this, but it would be great. I think many of us would pay $5,000 or more for such a package, as long as it is decent.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are probably never going to completly trick it out, but it would seem fairly easy to add a few simple goodies to a "kalahari edition" :)
1. Have a 18 tire option with AT's at around 31 inches that fit under the car
2. Allow you to alter the suspension a bit from the car's menu system directly without our own mods (although, i am sure, they would be very wary of this for liability reasons). increased stock height, increase speed limit on raised suspension, perhaps have a second suspension setting, maybe even a slighly different suspension if stock is going to be higher
3. External Spare Tire carrier

The more elaborate (and unrealistic) options would be a larger fuel tank (although diesel would solve this), off road bumper and moving the exhaust ...

And, as David suggests, add 5k or so to the price, but little to the cost, and make a profit....
My best guess on why they don't do this....driving the Ruta Maya (one of their old videos) isn't where they want to market themselves nowadays....its having a car equally at home taking you on a shopping trip to Rodeo Drive or skiing in Aspen...not that there is anything wrong with it, but enthusiasts such as us are probably not their target audience anymore...and I would submit we haven't been for a while. As they seem to be doing fine in both sales, low inventory and profit, it seems to be working for them.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Business-wise, I can see why Land Rover is going in the direction they are going - just too few people actually take these vehicles off road.

While I was at the local LR dealership for service, a young couple close in age, brought in their LR4 for service. They were drawn to an LR4 on the showroom floor that had all the off road accessories on it. So I chatted them up and asked the guy if he has taken his rig off road. His wife immediately shook her head while saying "No!" with a look on her face like "are you effing crazy?!"

I looked at him and could tell he wanted to but couldn't for obvious reasons (or for reasons not entirely clear to me.... :smile:)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I was at the local LR dealership for service, a young couple close in age, brought in their LR4 for service. They were drawn to an LR4 on the showroom floor that had all the off road accessories on it. So I chatted them up and asked the guy if he has taken his rig off road. His wife immediately shook her head while saying "No!" with a look on her face like "are you effing crazy?!"

I looked at him and could tell he wanted to but couldn't for obvious reasons (or for reasons not entirely clear to me.... :smile:)
Hahaha! Great story. Sounds like that woman could easily live in my town in CA - a place where the women control everything their husband does (and thinks).

I have had the same experience chatting with a few couples in my town with an LR4. I carry a few N. CA Land Rover club brochures in my truck and give them to folks I see with LR4s (and other Land Rovers). Quite often the guy is very intrigued and interested, but then gives me back the brochure when his wife gives me and him a dirty look.

Such a different world than I know/live in.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sales guy said/did it best. I showed up to pick up the vehicle and told him "I am so glad you stocked the Heavy Duty option on an LR4. You're the only one within 1000 miles that puts these on the lot. Once I saw the HD option, it was a no brainer because I plan on using this vehicle for what it was made for." He looked at me, smiled, pumped his fist and jumped at the same time while yelling out "YEAH!!".

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I should be happy that my wife asked me to get her a vehicle that she can drive on the beach, complete with sand covered children and a wet yellow lab. She was even happier when I replaced the worn Scorpion ATRs with a set of Zeon LTZ's. When I asked her if the extra tire noise bothered her, she never even noticed it, but did notice the improved traction off road.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I should be happy that my wife asked me to get her a vehicle that she can drive on the beach, complete with sand covered children and a wet yellow lab. She was even happier when I replaced the worn Scorpion ATRs with a set of Zeon LTZ's. When I asked her if the extra tire noise bothered her, she never even noticed it, but did notice the improved traction off road.

Nice. I'm glad my wife drives a stick shift. Right now all three of our cars are manuals.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635