Oil additives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off The Shelf Additives
There are countless over the counter oil additives on the market, as there have been for a number of years. In recent years a number of companies have appeared on the scene with huge national television advertising campaigns, racecar sponsorship, and more, all designed to make the consumer believe that the products really work and you are doing yourself a favor by adding these to your car. The fact is that these products are not necessary, do very little to help your engine, and in many cases may actually do more harm than good. The major car companies do not endorse any of these products and in fact your owner’s manual will undoubtedly advise you to avoid them.
Consumers Reports did a test (10/98) in an attempt to verify, or rebuke, one company’s ad which claimed that their product "bonded" to the engines moving parts forming a protective barrier against wear. The ad claimed that their test car ran without any oil all over Southern California, in stop and go traffic, with the air on, for 4 hours and 40 minutes. The ad also claimed that the only reason the driver stopped was to get something to eat. Pretty unbelievable. In an attempt to prove or disprove the viability of the ad, Consumer Reports tested two Chevrolet Caprices, both with identical zero time rebuilt V6 engines. Both cars were broken in with normal petroleum oil per the manufacturer’s recommendations. The oil and filter were then changed with one of the cars receiving the prescribed dose of this magic additive. Both cars were then driven for about 100 miles, allegedly long enough for this magical bonding to occur, and the oil subsequently drained. Both were then driven again, now with empty crankcases, in normal traffic to see how long they would last. Interestingly both engines failed, almost simultaneously, after about 14 minutes of driving thus proving the claims of the additive manufacturer to be nonsense. Consumer Reports notified the FTC of the test and their results and the manufacturer was subsequently forced to stop running the ad.
There are some over the counter additives that contain Teflon or PTFE. Once again the ads claim that the Teflon bonds to the internal working parts of the engine forming a slippery surface (like your Teflon frying pan) and therefore reducing wear. Fundamental laws of Physics prove that such claims are impossible, as the temperatures in internal combustion engines (200º-250ºF) are insufficient for any bonding to occur. Further, independent oil analysis labs have observed that the suspended Teflon particles actually tend to accumulate the microscopic metals that are normal in engine oil formulating much larger, and potentially much more harmful, deposits in engines than would normally occur if straight motor oil had been used. In some cases, the oil filters became clogged, oil pressures dropped across the filter and oil analysis showed significantly more wear than oil alone. Similar to the previous situation, the FTC challenged the makers of products with PTFE on their claims of "coating of PTFE" and "reduced engine wear" based again on Consumer Reports findings of "no discernible benefits" from use of the product. The makers of these products agreed with the FTC in a settlement to stop using the above phrases in their ads.

This should open a few eyes on the snake oil salesman

Chongo................:bandit:

AlexDisco

Reaction score
Thanks for the ed. What are your thoughts on transmission? I have a 95 Disco1 w/150K I hear a loud clank when the transmission downshifts to 1st gear (when approaching red light)
I wanted to flush the old fluid and replace with AMSOIL. After reading some boards stating that the new highly detergenated oils can actually dislodge sludge and particles and ruin the trans., I am stuck.
To FLUSH or Not to FLUSH that is the question.:hmpf:
Everyone’s input is welcome.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clunking noise

Hello Alex, to be honest with you Amsoil is an excellent product, and probably has few or no equals. Being a true synthetic, it will be high detergent.
Since your changing oil in the trans thius shouldn’t hurt the trans, unless it is so far gone it wouldn’t have mattered anyway. Amsoil is not an additive, it is the main lubricant. Changing this out in your vehicle should be advantageous to the function of it.
I’m kinda curious if the clanking down to first gear isn’t driveline or spider gear ( differential gear) wear ? might want to isolate the clanking noise, it might not be in the trans.

Good luck ……….. Chongo :bandit:

AlexDisco

Reaction score
Once again thanks for your help. How do you suppose I should diagnose the clunk when slowing down to a stop? It does not during acceleration.
Thanks

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clunk

I would jack the vehicle up all four tires on jack stands. Then I would turn the key to the run position an place the auto in neutral. Then crawl under the vehicle supported by jackstands and turn the drivelines then repeat the same procedure placing the 4x4 lever in neutral. Then I would repeat the same test in park, then in park and 4x4 neutral. U-joints should have no movement, the axle gears should have very little. If your turning the driveshaft ¼ of a turn before the tires move, I’d say there’s an issue in the axle.
When was the last time the diff oils were serviced ? transfercase ?
Are you getting any metallic debris in servicing these units ?

Let us know what you find I’m sure Joey or someone will get back with you shortly……..
Good luck………. Chongo……….. :bandit:

AlexDisco

Reaction score
Just got the Disco last month. I am still waiting on the shop manual in order to perform the before mentioned checks. I will do the test you suggested.
TY

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clunking noise

I would jack the vehicle up all four tires on jack stands. Then I would turn the key to the run position, DO NOT START ENGINE and place the auto in neutral. Then crawl under the vehicle supported by jackstands and turn the drivelines then repeat the same procedure placing the 4x4 lever in neutral. Then I would repeat the same test in park, then in park and 4x4 neutral. U-joints should have no movement, the axle gears should have very little. If your turning the driveshaft ¼ of a turn before the tires move, I’d say there’s an issue in the axle. REMEMBER THESE TEST CAN AND SHOULD BE DONE WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING, AND TURNING THE DRIVELINES BY HAND.
When was the last time the diff oils were serviced ? transfercase ?
Are you getting any metallic debris in servicing these units ?

Let us know what you find I’m sure Joey or someone will get back with you shortly……..
Good luck………. Chongo……….. :bandit:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM