oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey zingale

Reaction score
I have a 97 discovery with 101k miles on it.
I am loosing a lot of oil and from what i can see it looks line its coming form the timing chain cover, or what i think is the timing chain cover.
What i am looking at is behind the water pump but where it connects to the block.
Is this a common place to leak oil? there is a puddle of oil on top of this cover but dose not seem to be coming form the valve covers.
Please help, i am lost and got to get this fixed!!!
thanks for any and all help

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the front main seal is bad... Download the repair manual and attack it or if you are not mechanical take it to a shop.

joey zingale

Reaction score
thanks
i am looking at the manual, exploded view of the motor.
When you say "front main seal"are you refering to the timing cover gasket or the timing cover oil seal? Or something totaly diffrent?
By looking at the manual i think i can do the job, are there any special tools needed or just the basics.

Thanks for any and all help

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 Different seals, replace them both sence you are going in there. How many miles on the engine, has the water pump been replaced yet, how about the timing chain?

joey zingale

Reaction score
it has just over 100k on it
the waterpump has been replaced not long ago.
dont know about the chain

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo