Oil Overfill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robbouchard

Reaction score
Since having my timing chain tensioner worked on I have been getting an intermittent overfill indication on my oil level. Admittedly I have been checking my fluid levels weekly since the repair which is more frequently than before. I am checking when the engine is cold, after sitting over night on a level surface. I did remove about 1/4 litre of oil which seemed to fix the issue. However I checked again today and it’s showing overfilled again. This morning after seeing the overfilled I cranked over the engine let it sit for 20 minutes, dropped the suspension to access height to ensure the vehicle was level and it now shows full. Oh how I miss the simple dipstick!!!

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are not 100% sure of how much oil was added during the last oil change be very careful removing any. As mentioned on some other recent post, the gauge can be calibrated, if this calibration is incorrect then you really don’t know how much oil is in the sump.

+1 for the dipstick restomod

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As per the manual get the engine to full operating temp and keep it there for awhile (to bring the oil temp up). Wait the prescribed time and then check.

The LR4 has an enlarged sump over the 5.0L in the Jaguar so there is some slop in the oil levels. ie. you have a large safety margin. The larger sump was due to preventing oil pump pickup issues if off-roading at extreme angles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72