Opinions on the rising cost of gas...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My MPG dropped noticeably over the last 20k, I think it's the gas formulation, ie: amount of ethanol crap they're cutting the gas with. Ethanol cuts down mileage, increases price, and alleged to reduce greenhouse gases.

I wonder when they factored that, if they factored the fact you need to burn more to go the same distance, subsidize the growers, and pay for for the lack of supply of corn in the food market. Add more toll roads to make up the shortage of revenue due to electric cars, etc., etc. Sounds like another wonderful government plan.

Last edited:

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have any secrets to share. I guess one day I will end up finding out that my estimated MPG gauge on the dash has been incorrect all along.

Everyone says tune up around 100K. I have a 2005 with a little over 63K miles, however, I do a little something each month. I changed the front and rear differential fuild and power steering fluid over the past two nights. Next month I will probably start looking into new plugs. I'm a big believer in prevent maintenance.

Also, I have Hancook tires, I can't remember the model but they are nothing special except for how quite they are on the HWY.

Last edited:

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An 05 with 63k? Is this your daily driver? When you do your plugs let us know, I searched for a write up on changing the plugs but couldn't find one just curious on how hard they are to change, i'll probably do mine at 80,000

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plugs are easy....Pull the engine cover off, and remove the cover over the top of the plugs. Once you have those off you will see the coils. Unplug and remove the coil and buried down in there is the spark plugs...The ones towards the rear will be a little more fun as there is less clearance..

NhudeST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work five days a week, and I have a furlough day off (every other Friday) due to budget issues going on with the state, so I drive my truck at least 4 days out of the week for sure to work and back to home and I take my motorcycle to work on Friday's. I have an 04 RR-HSE and when it comes to gas mileage, it's not the greatest and it comes out to about $70-75 to fill up from about 1/4 of a tank. I use my bike to run quick errands around town, and I've converted to using my actual bicycle to go to the gym and back since its about 4 miles round-trip from where I live. I'm trying to fill up my RR's tank at least once every 10 or 14 days pushing it now. And if I do use my truck to run around and knock out errands or pick up major things, I try to knock them out at the same time within one trip in order to avoid driving back and forth from home to other various places. So there you have it, thats what I been doing to change it up a bit.

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An 05 with 63k? Is this your daily driver? When you do your plugs let us know, I searched for a write up on changing the plugs but couldn't find one just curious on how hard they are to change, i'll probably do mine at 80,000

Yep, daily driver..

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no change in mileage when I did my plugs at 100k. I've watched the mileage drop as the truck gets older, now at 120k. I know it is my big Coopers, the skids, etc. Have flushed fuel injection system as well. Now, I just try to keep my foot out of the pedal. Truck still runs great, though...

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought,... another thing to consider is the exhaust system as the LR3 gets older. I've noticed a separation between the downward spout of the manifold to the connection of the catalyic converter on a lot of LR3's. I took mine to an exhaust shop and had the guy retighten the bolt ($25) after I couldn't tighten it myself. It made acceleration quiter and my guess it that the loss of back pressure could have caused lack of horsepower/gas mileage at the same time. You can check yours by raising it to off road mode and turning your wheels hard right to check the drivers side and hard left to check the passengers side. You may need a flashlight to get a good look but if there is a gap there, it needs to be tightened.

FYI, tightening of a bolt is not covered under the 80K emmisions warranty, I know this because I contacted LR.

PhilSessions

Reaction score
Well Oil just dropped under $100 a barrel so time to get the foot back in the throttle!

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm paying $4.22/gal. I usually get 16mpg around town, I noticed a big improvement after i changed plugs. I run BG44k twice a year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72