Order new LR4, Wait or Compromise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi - Rookie here hoping for a little advice from the experts.

I'm looking to buy my first Rover and am pretty excited. My housemate after college had an early 60's Series that was fun to drive around (my first and only experience with having to "double clutch" shifts), and I've been wanting a Landie ever since.

So, I really want an LR4 with the following options: LUX; Heavy Duty; Almond interior. I've been looking around all over the place and cannot find one in a color I want. I can't believe how few HD trucks are out there. My dealer claims to have run a national inventory search and tells me that there are only 3 such trucks in the entire country. Of course, none of them are in a color that my wife likes.

First, question: is he telling the truth?
Second questions: should I wait and keep looking and see if one pops up somewhere? Or should I bite the bullet and order one and wait 4-6 months? Or, should I compromise on LUX, HD or color?

Opinions wanted.

Thanks.

unless your planning to remove the factory tires, and search the globe for some goodyear mtr 255/55/19 tires, doubt the hd package would make much difference...by dropping it you open up your options dramatically

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I probably won't do any crazy off-roading until the car is a little older, but I plan on keeping this for a long time and eventually using it as a real off-roader. At that time, I would probably put 18" wheels on it. Also, seems like it would increase the re-sale value.

For the person who asked about acceptable colors, we really want Baltic Blue or White, but are willing to also take Grey. The only ones available right now are Rimini Red, Nara Bronze and Santorini Black. I'm bored to tears with black cars, as I've had them for the last 17 years - plus they only stay clean for about 4 days. I'm considering the Red. I like the Bronze, but my wife abhors it.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I though I had to have the HD package, wouldn't take a LR without it. Well, after a ton of research, I said screw it and went forward with a non-HD search. And although I have only taken my LR4 off-road just once, let me tell you, it was pretty extreme and had no problems at all.

Last edited:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 days with a black car is amazing! my Buckingham Blue (almost black) lasts about 1 day before there are fingerprints near the door handles, dust on the hood or bird crap on the side windows.

I wouldn't compromise, get the color, model and options you want from the start. I compromised too much and now I wish I had the truck I wanted.

Rob

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It comes down to time and money. You probably won't be able to negotiate as much $$$ off on a custom order as something off the lot. I was in a similar situation last year. Found one that was pretty close to what I wanted and almost pulled the trigger. But I like to keep my cars forever, so I decided I would be better off paying a little bit more and getting exactly what I wanted. I waited about 3.5 months, but in the end it was worth it. It had 7 miles on it when I drove it home. :proud:

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I wound up "compromising" on color and getting the black truck this weekend. As it turns out, I really like it and don't feel like I compromised at all.

Santorini Black w/ Almond Interior
Lux, Heavy Duty, Vision Assist, LoJack, short roof rails and trailer hitch installed.

I didn't really want/need Vision and LoJack, but they were already on the car. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks for your help.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! You'll love the car, I like the Black/Almond combination and I know the next time your off road you''ll appreciate the rear locker on those low traction steep incline climbs.

(we also ended up with extra equipment on ours we originally just wanted the HSE package and ended up with the LUX just to get the HD)

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover has officially opened up a factory in India and the first LR2 rolled off the assembly line just two weeks ago. LR is planning to add LR4 and RR. Tata has recently expressed its frustration with the UK folks, saying they're just unwilling to "go" the extra mile. Later Tata apologized and said it wasn't implying that they're lazy, although it's clear what the owner meant. Nonetheless, although Tata promised they'd remain a "holding" company only and wouldn't move production to India, it is turning out to be a bunch on boloney. And I would expect most if not all future LRs to be made in India fairly soon. So maybe special ordering time will decrease in the future.
Wow! I did not realize they were making LRs in India and had plans of manufacturing other models apart from the LR2. I don't know how I feel about this personally, but I definitely think it has its pros and cons. Not being made in England and keeping to that heritage is a con, but a big pro is the hopefully better QC and dedication to quality and excellence you can find among many Indians. I work with many Indian scientisits and they produce excellent work. As long as LR can stay true to its heritage and the stuff we love, then maybe manufacturing them in India will significanty raise the standards.

With all that said, I visited all over India last year and the absolute chaos and lack of infrastructure scare the crap out of me! ;) They definitely can't build LRs like they build the cars I was in while I was there. Yikes!!!!!

I look forward to hearing more about the future of LR with Tata Motors.

Regards, David

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say, an LR made in India doesn't have the same appeal to me. I don't doubt that the quality can be as good or better. LR is a premium brand. A Louis Vuitton or Patek Phillippe made in China wouldn't have the same appeal either (not considering the counterfeits already made there!). Same for Jaguar.

Back to the original topic....I also was unable to find what I wanted, and put a car on order a few months ago...due to arrive very soon. I expect to keep it for 10+ years so a few months more with my old car, which is still in decent shape, is worth it to get the ideal package combination. It will be a HSE in nara bronze/ebony with HD, vision, and climate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9