Order new LR4, Wait or Compromise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi - Rookie here hoping for a little advice from the experts.

I'm looking to buy my first Rover and am pretty excited. My housemate after college had an early 60's Series that was fun to drive around (my first and only experience with having to "double clutch" shifts), and I've been wanting a Landie ever since.

So, I really want an LR4 with the following options: LUX; Heavy Duty; Almond interior. I've been looking around all over the place and cannot find one in a color I want. I can't believe how few HD trucks are out there. My dealer claims to have run a national inventory search and tells me that there are only 3 such trucks in the entire country. Of course, none of them are in a color that my wife likes.

First, question: is he telling the truth?
Second questions: should I wait and keep looking and see if one pops up somewhere? Or should I bite the bullet and order one and wait 4-6 months? Or, should I compromise on LUX, HD or color?

Opinions wanted.

Thanks.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat around the same time last year. I wound up ordering exactly what I wanted and it was worth the wait! :)

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks - I might wind up doing that. Although, from reading a Brit forum, it seems like it might be more like 7 months until delivery. I might have to buy a used LR3 from my dealer to tide me over until then ; )

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks - I might wind up doing that. Although, from reading a Brit forum, it seems like it might be more like 7 months until delivery. I might have to buy a used LR3 from my dealer to tide me over until then ; )
I think the wait is longer there than it is here. I recall reading about long waits in the UK and Australia when I was about to order mine.

I ordered my 2011 LR4 late June of 2010, and took delivery early October 2011. Talk to your dealer.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't compromise on the HD but we go off-road. I might compromise on the LUX if I could get an HSE with cold climate package. My wife would not compromise on the color (I would have) We were lucky the dealer found the exact car we wanted

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover has officially opened up a factory in India and the first LR2 rolled off the assembly line just two weeks ago. LR is planning to add LR4 and RR. Tata has recently expressed its frustration with the UK folks, saying they're just unwilling to "go" the extra mile. Later Tata apologized and said it wasn't implying that they're lazy, although it's clear what the owner meant. Nonetheless, although Tata promised they'd remain a "holding" company only and wouldn't move production to India, it is turning out to be a bunch on boloney. And I would expect most if not all future LRs to be made in India fairly soon. So maybe special ordering time will decrease in the future.

Last edited:

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover has officially opened up a factory in India and the first LR2 rolled off the assembly line just two weeks ago. LR is planning to add LR4 and RR. Tata has recently expressed its frustration with the UK folks, saying they're just unwilling to "go" the extra mile. Later Tata apologized and said it wasn't implying that they're lazy, although it's clear what the owner meant. Nonetheless, although Tata promised they'd remain a "holding" company only and wouldn't move production to India, it is turning out to be a bunch on boloney. And I would expect most if not all future LRs to be made in India fairly soon. So maybe special ordering time will decrease in the future.

I feel ambivalent about it: an Indian-made LR/RR?:frown:
OTH, something needs to be done about their quality control issues: small, annoying, stupid stuff that goes wrong, like a brand new truck that refuses to start or the stupid surround cameras

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel ambivalent about it: an Indian-made LR/RR?:frown:
OTH, something needs to be done about their quality control issues: small, annoying, stupid stuff that goes wrong, like a brand new truck that refuses to start or the stupid surround cameras

I think too many pints and a lot of pented up frustration and anger over a dying and broken economy isn't helping QC, not just for LR, but for Britian. It would be difficult for me to fork over 60- to-90K for a car made in India, but at the same time, I work with a ton of engineers in India and their work is outstanding! Quality above quality. And pride for just being a part of the emerging entrance into world acceptance is truly inspiring. So we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score

interesting

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9